Green Stains

smc

Oct 3, 2009
Tucson, Arizona
I'm back. Been a while.

So I have the green problem again. Started in April (Arizona, about 80+ degrees in the pool). The pool chemical guy says it's not algae, but it has now spread. I can brush some off, but I fear there are stains now since it won't come off like it used to. I clean the filter, backwash, vacuum, and now testing religiously again. I have been disabled, so I haven't been able to brush every day or even swim. Every time I tell the service to tell the tech to SLAM/SHOCK the pool he leaves a note "Too much tree in pool, not algae."

A few years ago, the original tech quit, the service didn't send another tech out for a few weeks, and the pool was a swamp. So cloudy green that you couldn't see the second step in the shallow end.

If it's not algae what is it and how do I get rid of it?

FC 6.5
CC 0
CH 1000
TA 50
CYA 100

I know I forgot a couple, but ph was 7.5 and the other tests were ok from what I can remember. This was before draining to the skimmer level, vacuuming, and scrubbing again. Now filling and will repost levels and ugly pics if necessary. Of the pool, of course! :D

The pool chemical guy says it's not algae

Take some water out of the pool and place in a clear clean glass. What does the water look like? Water in a clean glass will not look as green when a pool has algae. Unless you have metal stains in the pool, it is probably algae, but hard to tell. Where are the stains and what do they look like? What size are the stains and are they scattered all over the pool? And what does "too much tree in the pool" mean?

Please take some pictures of the stains (as close as possible) and pictures of the pool water, etc. Let's try to get this figured out. Maybe take a step back and try to remember last time the water was crystal clear and how the problem surfaced over time.

Clear water. "Too much tree" means the tree matter in the pool...I think. I'll see if I can get better pics - the ones I took earlier really don't show anything but what looks like green water.

It started with half the wall in the deep end. When the temperature heats up, algae blooms, right? Now the whole wall is covered (since I was "down") and there are new patches even in the bottom of the shallow end. The only metal in the pool/system is the ring around the light.

In Tucson, it's probably not metal stains - unless the OP is on a well or the pool has been treated with stuff containing metals.

With the CYA reported as 100, it could be much higher. The recommendation to due a diluted test for CYA is a good one.

With the reported CH of 1000, you are approaching the upper limit of being able to keep your CSI in line with the recommendation here on TFP. And if you haven't been actively keeping your pH down, you are very susceptible to scaling. That possible scaling along with the green you are seeing could lead to "staining" - the green could get trapped in the scaling and be nearly impossible to just brush off.

You could try putting about 2 gallons of pool water in a white plastic 5 gallon bucket. If it has a greenish tint, add about one cup of bleach and stir it around for a few minutes. If the water clears up (some debris, dead algae on bottom), it's most probably algae.

Given the high CH (1000) and a CYA of 100+, you are probably in for a drain/refill or an RO treatment in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

Tree matter is organics and will use chlorine up. With the high CYA and not enough chlorine, algae will grow.

Looks better since I cleaned it, but...

IMG_8297_zpsthmpxqwc.jpg

IMG_8292_zpswuddjdew.jpg

IMG_8290_zpstgoofja8.jpg

In Tucson, it's probably not metal stains - unless the OP is on a well or the pool has been treated with stuff containing metals.

With the CYA reported as 100, it could be much higher. The recommendation to due a diluted test for CYA is a good one.

With the reported CH of 1000, you are approaching the upper limit of being able to keep your CSI in line with the recommendation here on TFP. And if you haven't been actively keeping your pH down, you are very susceptible to scaling. That possible scaling along with the green you are seeing could lead to "staining" - the green could get trapped in the scaling and be nearly impossible to just brush off.

You could try putting about 2 gallons of pool water in a white plastic 5 gallon bucket. If it has a greenish tint, add about one cup of bleach and stir it around for a few minutes. If the water clears up (some debris, dead algae on bottom), it's most probably algae.

Given the high CH (1000) and a CYA of 100+, you are probably in for a drain/refill or an RO treatment in the near future.

- - - Updated - - -

Tree matter is organics and will use chlorine up. With the high CYA and not enough chlorine, algae will grow.

I was doing a partial drain to the skimmer every time I vacuumed. I rigged up a hose to a single output jet on one setting of the jandy valve, since the drain was disabled a couple owners ago. This was keeping everything in check, because I didn't want a repeat of the green swamp. I noticed some green in April that I have been able to scrub off, and the past month I have been trying to get the chemical company to do their part because it won't come off anymore. I was able to get the CH down around June and July, but either the plaster is degrading faster or the tap water is getting harder.

Who does RO and how much do they charge?

I'm off to buy more bleach...

EDIT:

PH has been around 7.2-7.5. The tech comes every Friday, but I always forget to test after he visits. And there hasn't been much wind or debris blowing in the pool, even with the hurricane storm we had. The Monsoon was a bit light this year, at least on this side of town.

If it's green and it's growing it is algae.

Your CH is quite a bit too high and your CYA is too high.

Step 1 is to drain the pool by about 50% to get the CYA and CH to a manageable level.

Step 2 is to SLAM the pool. That's not just adding chlorine to you pool. It involves brushing, vacuuming, cleaning and high chlorine levels all working in concert to clear your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any chance you can pump out lower than the bottom of skimmer all at once? This would waste a lot less water than a 6" drain and refill a bunch of times. I think it may be best to do the diluted test for CYA and see what that number is. Then you can plug those numbers into Pool Math to see how much you need to drain. If you're unable to drain lower than your skimmer with your present set up, ask the pool tech if he will lend you a sump pump to drain the water down.

Also, test your fill water CH. You want to lower your pool CH also as it's quite high. Plug those numbers into Pool Math to get an estimate of what your CH will be if you drain xx% of water.

This morning after draining to the skimmer, vacuuming, and brushing:

FC 4.5
CC 0
CH 1125
TA 60
CYA 80

PH 7.8

I cannot drain lower than the skimmer.

Added 2 gallons bleach FC is 15 now. Already looks a little better...or maybe it's because the sun in hitting it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.