Problems with slamming

dkbrat

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2013
dallas,tx
I was ill and free chlorine fell. Water was not green, but I noticed green all around the sides of the pool. I brushed everything down and back washed. I started slamming on 9/15/16. As of this morning, I am still losing 3ppm over night. I have been brushing daily and testing anywhere from 3 to 5 times a day. I am in DFW area and it is still very hot. Our pool is in full sunlight from 9 to 6 daily. I have to go out of town on Thursday, and I hate to think that i will have wasted all of the time and money if I cant get this in control before then. I am also burning through regents with all of the testing. I also reconfirmed my CYA level yesterday to make certain I was using the correct levels. My tests at the start of the slam process were:

FC 5 (I am filing to the 25 ml line and using 2 spoons of powder)
CC .2
PH 8
TA 70
CH 230
CYA 50
Borates Probably lowest to zero. Lost a lot of water to check valve problem, then had a lot of rain

I have been trying to maintain at FC 20 according to pool math. Occasionally I took it to 24 because of the full sun burn off expected.
I tested yesterday at 3:48pm and FC was 15 CC 0. I added 2-121 oz 8.25% bottles of bleach. It was more than required but I was leaving for several hours.
I tested at 9:20pm last night FC was 20.8 CC .4
I tested at 7.20am FC 17.8 cc .2

I feel reasonably certain I have mustard algae. I still see slight green on some of the water jets around edge of pool and spa. I have been brushing them daily and I do see improvement.

My question is should I just go to the mustard shock level of 39? I thought I read I should pass all test of slamming before the mustard level for 24 hours. At this point I not sure I will ever pass the overnight level. I have gone through more than 20 bottles of bleach at this point.

Fill to the 10 ml line. There is no point in a 25 ml sample for the FAS/DPD.

How long are you leaving town....you don't say.
I will be gone Thursday thru Sunday. Should I do the mustard shock level as of tomorrow morning for 24 hours? My house sitter could add a gallon a day while I am gone, but that we be really close to the normal range. I dont want the mustard algae to start growing again at the normal range according to the posts I read.

Im not sure why you think you have mustard algae. It doesn't sound like it.

I can't see any logical way of maintaining your SLAM while you are gone.

Bring your pool to SLAM value just before you leave and then take it back to SLAM value when you get home and restart your SLAM......anything else just seems way too difficult to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.