how does lack of circulation affect testing?

kernelpanic

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 30, 2009
Fort Worth Area, Texas
So, my 4 month old pump just hums at the moment. It's a 2 speed, we normally only run it on HIGH when cleaning, the rest of the time it stays on LOW - 24/7 (skimmer purposes mostly).

We're still using the pool (still in the 90s here this week).

My question is - without any circulation - how does that affect my tests for FC?

and related - how does the lack of circulation affect things when I add bleach?

I know - dumb questions - but was just testing the pool and started wondering if my tests are even going to be accurate

If your pump isn't currently operational, go ahead and brush your pool to circulate the water. You need to keep your FC at its normal level or perhaps a touch higher to assure that the water is well chlorinated. Swimming will help keep things mixed up and brushing at least once a day with your liquid chlorine additions should protect you somewhat from algae taking hold.

When you pour the chlorine into the pool it will want to stay in one area. By running the pump this will spread the chlorine out to the entire pool and mix it entirely. If you cannot run the pump for any reason when testing manually brushing the water will also mix the chlorine throughout the entire pool, not just in one area. If you test without mixing the water well after adding chlorine you will likely have false results. Your chlorine level will be high in the area you added while slightly low in other areas the chlorine wasn't spread towards. The same mindset happens when trying to maintain your pool. Areas that are low in chlorine may get a small area of algae growing on the walls due to lack of chlorine in that area. Again, both can be overcome for a short while by brushing well.

You might find a hydrodynamic brush worthwhile. I have a SweepEase that features a "scoop" along the top edge that moves a considerable amount of water for its size. The intention is to push the brush against surfaces as you push it fwd, but the secondary benefit is more water movement than a traditional brush.

The Wall Whale is a more dramatic version of the same idea.

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I put a submersible sump pump I had in there for some temporary circulation - only moves about 500 GPH but better than nothing I think.

Still waiting to hear back from Hayward on the warranty procedures.

The pool sits close to several trees and crepe myrtles so a constant source of leaves/debris any time the wind blows which is often, thus we just skim it 24/7.

Remember that your filter has sat for how long with no fresh source of chlorine in it because the pump is not pulling any in.

There might be an algae farm going on in there now. Just be ready when you start it back up, you might want to do a SLAM just to be safe.

Remember that your filter has sat for how long with no fresh source of chlorine in it because the pump is not pulling any in.

There might be an algae farm going on in there now. Just be ready when you start it back up, you might want to do a SLAM just to be safe.

Good point! it's only been 24 hours so far, but I may pop the top on that thing and add a gallon of bleach just to be on the safe side

No word yet from Hayward, so it may be a week or more before we're operational again

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I put a submersible sump pump I had in there for some temporary circulation - only moves about 500 GPH but better than nothing I think.

Still waiting to hear back from Hayward on the warranty procedures.

The pool sits close to several trees and crepe myrtles so a constant source of leaves/debris any time the wind blows which is often, thus we just skim it 24/7.
I understand about the trees etc...why dont you look into o e of those solar powered surface skimmers so you don't have to run pump all the time

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I believe that a lack of sunlight would keep the algae from blooming in the filter for a short while. If you do decide to open it up and add bleach, don't over do it, it will just shorten the life of everything in there (seals, orings, etc).

Sometimes the pump can be fixed as easily as replacing the start capacitor. There are several videos on you tube and the part is readily available if you are at all handy. If not, I would get an electrician to see if you can get it to run, then fight with Hayward to pay for it but your pool will be saved from turning into a mess.

Sometimes the pump can be fixed as easily as replacing the start capacitor. There are several videos on you tube and the part is readily available if you are at all handy. If not, I would get an electrician to see if you can get it to run, then fight with Hayward to pay for it but your pool will be saved from turning into a mess.

I have considered tearing into it - but it's 4 months old with a 12 month warranty. The pump it replaced was a rebuilt from a place in Phoenix - lasted 6 years - this brand new hayward lasted 4 months lol

I understand about the trees etc...why dont you look into o e of those solar powered surface skimmers so you don't have to run pump all the time

Excuse my interruption concerning this discussion, but what is wrong with running a 2 stage pump 24/7? If you are running it on low, the cost is around $10/month to run 24/7. So I cannot see expense being the problem. Just curious. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.