HEEEELP with pool light

Jun 23, 2016
Monterrey, Mexico
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Well I am sorry to report that apparently the electrician connected the transformer backwards

the GFCI breaker was tripping and he didn't know why

now that he did the correct connection, the light won't turn on

any guesses if he blew the light or what happened?

im appalled

intellibrite 5G white lamp 12V with a 120to12 volt transformer

Puro,

If by "backwards, you mean he connected the 12 volt secondary output to the 120 volt AC input, then I would suspect the transformer has gone to where all transformers go when they die!!!

It may or may not have taken out the light itself.

I suggest your electrician measure the output of the secondary and see what he gets. It should be 12 to 14 volts, but I suspect it will be zero volts..

Jim R.

It measures 13.2V, but the light is not turning on

Thanks for the response
im about to cry, is there a fuse in the lamp or something?

ETA: the lamp has a fuse harness. We will be checking that tomorrow, hopwefully it would be the only damage since it costs 20 bucks

if the circuit board is damaged it costs 350 dollars. My contractor would be in deep...

i had the same issue with a transformer - i connected the hot from the GFI, but connected the neutral to the normal neutral bar in the load center causing the GFI to trip as soon as the relay tried to turn the lights on. I thought the transformer was bad but it was really just my own error - I needed to bring the neutral back to the GFI neutral otherwise the GFI senses a fault and trips (made total sense after somebody else figured it out!). Did the light ever work? are the connections at the transformer on low side well made to the light cord (sometimes the wire nut is hiding a poor/non-existent connection). it does appear that there may be a replaceable fuse assembly (see page 12) of the owners manual:
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/IntelliBrite%205G%20OM.pdf

If the pool light was connected to the transformer when it was energized backwards, your sparky applied 1200 V to a 12 V fixture. He should replace the fixture, and any wiring past the transformer since it was all exposed to excessive voltages.

Update

I called Pentair, they said most likely the fuse is blown, they don't know if the circuit board or anything else was damaged.

The procedure should be to replace the fuse harness and go from there. They weren't a bit surprised about the "mistake"...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.