Pool Closing Help

Aug 24, 2015
Petersburgh, NY
Last year, we closed our above ground pool successfully by blowing out the main drain with a 6.5 HP shop vac. This year it is not working, and it is causing us some stress.

Right now, I have the pool drained 6" below the return, and the pump and hoses are disconnected. We wanted to blow out the main drain, seeing it bubble, shut the main drain valve, and then cover the pool for the winter. Because we cannot blow out the main drain, the pool water is sitting there, and the FC level is now below shock level.

I have an air compressor, but I am not sure if I can use that to blow out the main drain. It is a 150 psi, 15 gallon compressor. Would that work, or would it damage the line?

What are the best steps to follow, to ensure I can keep the pool clean and up to shock level? I could connect the pump again and just use the main drain to circulate water. I could also just cover the pool for now, and uncover it partially later to see the main drain, as it bubbles when we blow the water out.

I would appreciate your thoughts and help on this.

Thanks
Chuck

Lower the pressure to 20-30 PSI and try pushing air through the main drain and see if this works. Personally, I have the Cyclone and really recommend it. The cost is about 3X an air compressor, but will last for quite a long time.

Cover the pool until you can get the main drain out of the way. You can also add PolyQuat 60 algaecide in a few weeks (mix by hand really well) and cover the pool (if you do not want to hook everything back up). All my equipment is left outside during the winter.

Thanks for your reply. Does the Cyclone require any special fittings to fit the valve for your main drain? What fittings come with it in the box?

I wish I had covered the pool the day I drained it because it was still at shock level. Now, I feel like I should hook up the pump again, and maintain at shock level until we figure out the main drain.

Chuck:

My Pool (under you) shows Texas Splash (Is this something wrong with my browser). Strange.

Neither here nor there. The Cyclone is only a blower and a very good one at that. It is on sale at this moment, but still expensive. I paid like $309 (If I remember correctly). You will need to purchase a 1 1/2" hose that connects to the blower and then figure out where you will push water through. I believe you can purchase a 90 degree adapter to fit inside the housing of the pump for the supply and return. For me, I created a modified housing. Below is the post that explains what I did and some other good information with pictures. As I mention to everyone when it comes time to close the pool. (There are many ways to close the pool, but in the end the results are all the same) and that is to remove all the water from the lines and with the main drain create an "air lock".

CLOSING A SWIMMING POOL:

First time closing pool!!

Post # 7 for the standard air fittings. Good Thread.

Winterizing your Sand Filter

Interesting to note: Hayward Manual for the S244T 24" 300# sand filter, states only this in their instructions for winterizing:
WINTERIZING

1. Completely drain tank by unscrewing drain cap at base of filter tank. Leave cap off during winter.

2. Depress Vari-Flo control valve handle and rotate so as to set pointer on valve top between any two positions. This will allow water to drain from the valve. Leave valve in this "inactive" position.

winterizing with a sand filter

Creating a modified Cover

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

I would like to get the Cyclone or the Mighty Vac, and hook them up to blow out the main drain line. For my setup, the Cyclone would need to hook up to the same pipe, where my pump hooks up to. The pipe is 1.5 inches wide (inside width). My pump has a pipe that fits into it, and it has a collar that tightens over the union. Would the Cyclone do a similar thing, or would I need to get additional tubing or pipes to hook up to the main drain pipe?

You mentioned getting a 1.5 inch hose to hook up to the blower. How would like hook up to my main drain line, which is where my pump currently hooks up to? I have included some pictures below, which may help.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff172/cedougl/Pool/IMG_0134.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff172/cedougl/Pool/IMG_0135.jpg

Thanks!

The 1.5" hose is in my post (the one that hooks up to the Cyclone). Attach it to the end of the PVC fittings (which I assume is the one in the picture) and it will push air to the lines. That is all you need. Go to this post and you will see the hose and item #, etc.

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

Attach the hose to the Cyclone on one end and the other end goes to the fitting that you can open and close the red valves. Blow air through the valves until your main drain bubbles and then close it to create an air lock. I assume the other one is for the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.