Plumbing Lifetime

Sep 19, 2016
Phoenix
Hi,

Just joined...I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to elsewhere. I have a 20 yr old pool and a house I'll likely sell within 5yrs. The pool is generally fine...I've replaced the DE filter housing and pump in recent years but the exposed plumbing (multiple pipes, jandys, etc) is not in very good shape.

I've been working on trying to get my obsolete Ortega check valve to keep my spa from draining but haven't been winning. If I'm going to get someone to come out to fix the problem (the attached Jandy will need to be replaced too I think), it has me thinking maybe I should have more of the plumbing updated. And not just that...the spa heater and blower haven't even been run for 10 years....and the original dry well is full of DE I think. Maybe I should get a pool "tune up" (which I've never heard of).

Some advice from experts please?

hansenaz

If you are going to sell the house in the near future (5 years will fly by when fixing up a place to sell) I would go ahead and fix it as in replacing the plumbing. That way you can enjoy it while you are still there AND the ground and landscaping will have time to recover after being messed up when doing this.

Who knows how long anything will last. It all depends on how well it was kept and how well it was put together when it was done. (Don't you hate it when someone says "It depends" :rolleyes:)

Let us know if there are any questions you have. Someone here should be able to help you.

:kim:

PVC pipe will break down from UV exposure above ground. When I replaced my roof top solar pool heater a couple of years ago I re-routed a couple of the pipes to add an automated controller valve, in the process of removing the old section of PVC pipe and cut off valve the old (20+ year) PVC glue had degraded the point I was able to pull the valve off the end of the pipe by hand.

From an industry trade magazine - Study: 100-year life for PVC pipe conservative | Plastics News

So your underground PVC pipe is likely fine. It's the stuff poking up above ground that has probably degraded a bit from UV/Heat/weathering exposure. I bet all you'd need to do is dig down a few inches below the equipment pad and you could easily redo all of the above-grade piping with fresh PVC and new equipment needs (valves and such). Then slap a coat of paint on it and it'll look brand new. Just be sure to pressure test all of the fittings BEFORE you fill the dirt back in.

Wow ...thanks for the fast replies. Yes I'm thinking of the above ground bits (fingers crossed I wouldn't need more). It's just when I've casually asked about this at my local pool shops I get blank stares. No problem to get a Leslie's guy to come out and deal with the draining spa - though I don't know exactly what he would do - but having an experienced guy do a "tune up" on the various things I mentioned may be more what I need.

I'm thinking a tune up "package" would be more attractive price-wise than having a tech doing 10 things piecemeal. The industry doesn't seem to be set up that way...so in the end I just get a service tech out and talk it over?

Wow ...thanks for the fast replies. Yes I'm thinking of the above ground bits (fingers crossed I wouldn't need more). It's just when I've casually asked about this at my local pool shops I get blank stares. No problem to get a Leslie's guy to come out and deal with the draining spa - though I don't know exactly what he would do - but having an experienced guy do a "tune up" on the various things I mentioned may be more what I need.

I'm thinking a tune up "package" would be more attractive price-wise than having a tech doing 10 things piecemeal. The industry doesn't seem to be set up that way...so in the end I just get a service tech out and talk it over?

You might find a pool builder willing to come out and give you a quote on a pool refurbishment job - new equipment, new coping, new plaster, etc, etc., and then along with that the plumbing sub would replace the above-grade plumbing. But, to have a service tech type person doing the work, that would be expensive (lots of labor $$$$) and have a very limited warranty.

Honestly, if the house is going to be on the market in the next few years (let's face it, if you want out in 5 years it's going to get listed in 3-1/2 to 4 years), then just limp along with what you have and don't go poking around for trouble. Future buyers either want a pool or want nothing to do with a pool and so those that want a home with a pool will just see any minor repairs/upgrades as part of the "fixer-upper" aspect of the home. A few leaky pool pipe joints or valves is not going to make/break the deal.

Now, if the gunite shell is cracked, that's a completely different story....

Hmmm...well I hope your right. I guess I'm afraid of the buyer who wants annoying things fixed as a condition of sale. Things like "get that spa working"...which might be easy....I'm just not anxious to mess with it since I last tried and found out the propane regulator was shot (and obsolete). Indeed I could make a project out of these things. I was just thinking some "paid help" might be worth it, and my leaky Ortega valve pushed it forward in my mind.

I just remember the last house I sold....they saw an ant at the front door and wanted the whole house exterminated!

If you experienced guys thing I'm fretting needlessly, then I'll just go with it. Any other comments, yay or nay, appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.