Used test kit for the 1st time, Help!

Aug 30, 2016
Altoona, PA
Hello there,

I posted a thread a week or so ago about my green pool and all the money I've been literally dumping into it thanks to the pool store, and have gotten no results. I ordered the recommended test kit (the big package, forgive me - I forget the name), and I just used it for the first time. Here are my results:

FC= 31 (Is that even possible!?! Yes, I used 62 drops of 0871 til it was clear!)
TC= 32
CYA= I didn't even get anywhere close to the 100 line! (It was 128 two weeks ago at the pool store)
calcium= 500ppm
TA= 150
pH= 7.5, maybe a tad higher

The pool is cloudy green and has been for most of the summer. I've used all kinds of chemicals and brushed the floor and walls countless times. I have no clue what to do next!

Thanks in advance!

24' above ground with vinyl liner, 15,000gal sand filter

Re: used test kit for the 1st time, Help!

First thing to do is to make sure you get as accurate a CYA reading as you can (we don't trust the pool store number on this one). Go back and read the extended directions and get a good solid number (you can pour solution back and forth a couple times.) Once you get that number, than SLAM your pool according to the chlorine/CYA chart. For example, if your CYA is 90 your SLAM level for chlorine would be 35, so you're close.

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Ahh, I misunderstood. If you CYA is off the charts high and you dilute the sample with tap water 50% and divide the result in half. And, yes, if it over 100 you'll need to at least do partial pool drain.

Jaime:

Welcome to TFP! You have come to the right place. Please see below:

FC= 31 (Is that even possible!?! Yes, I used 62 drops of 0871 til it was clear!) TC= 32

Yes, it is possible. So you can save on reagents until you clear your pool up, use a 5 ml. sample of water and multiply by 1. Same procedure. You have a high chlorine reading, but please test for CC (combined chlorine). Follow the instructions and you will be fine. Hopefully you ordered the speed stir.

CYA= I didn't even get anywhere close to the 100 line! (It was 128 two weeks ago at the pool store)

Do this test over again, but take 50% tap water and 50% pool water (use 2 equal bottles and mix together well for a few seconds) and take the sample from there. Then test CYA and multiply by 2.

calcium= 500ppm

Seems high. What State are you in?

TA= 150

With a TA of 150, you may have rising PH issues. We will take care of this a little later.

pH= 7.5, maybe a tad higher

Your PH is fine for now, but you will have to lower it once the SLAM is started.

Thank you.
I did buy a speed stirrer.
I live in central PA and refill with well water.
I just rechecked CYA with 50% tap water... I cannot see the dot past the 90 line, so CYA 180!?
I'm already in the process of draining some pool water.
Oh, and I had issues with high pH all summer long. I ranged from 7.9-8.3 and dumped over 40 lb of the pool stores recommended lo n so over the summer!

Oh, how much water should I drain?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again. I did play around with the pool math a bit. It's telling me to empty 78% of my water. Yikes, I was hoping not to empty that much, but I'll do what I have to do. We have a well, so I'll probably end up having to have water brought in.
So... wait till it's filled to test everything again and then start treating right?

I know you guys don't usually go by Pool Store test results. I had my water tested at a pool store about 2 weeks ago and my iron level there was 0.2.

- - - Updated - - -

I drained my pool last night and only left about a foot or a little more of water in it. I'm ready to get to the root of my problem and I guess pretty much start over in order to do so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.