To Condition, or Not To Condition?

anthys

Jun 6, 2009
Brand new pool owner here. Hello! This is the best site I've seen regarding pools. Anyway, I figure that my pool should be done filling in about 3-4 hours. The kid (and he was a kid) at the pool store said the very first thing I should do is add ProTeam UV Shield Conditioner to the pool, and run the filter for 24 hours. Some friends with pools say that you don't really need conditioner until it gets hotter. I'm in Michigan, and it's been cold for June. Can I get away with starting out just by shocking it, or shock AND chlorine, or just chlorine? I have testing strips, but have been told not to worry about those until the pool is filled and the filter is running. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. (And yes, I intend to print out the PoolSchool!)

Looking after your pool water is very easy. I suggest getting a good reliable test kit to test and balance your water. There are 2 on the market people on here use. One is the TF Test kit ( see the link in my signature) and the other is the Taylor test kit. I personally use the TF test kit for the simple reason the kit is available from one of our members and his customer service is outstanding.

I would suggest doing some reading in our Pool School section. There is information for you to get started opening your pool.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your pool !! :wave:

I assume that conditioner is what we call CYA, also called stabilizer, all of which are names for cyanuric acid.

Yes, you always want some CYA in the water.

If you post a full set of water test results we can give you much more detailed advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.