Do I need to close an inground pool in central florida?

Sep 18, 2016
Tampa, FL
Hello all,
I'm new to pools and this forum but I can already sense I'm in the right place. I'm currently getting ahead of an algae issue due to high CYA and too many tablets in the past.

Should I close my pool for the mild Tampa area winter? Pool is screened in and could definitely use some rain water to drain at no charge and reduce my CYA.

What are the real reasons for "closing". I just moved to the Tampa area so I don't really know what to expect from the winter. Below is a screenshot of what wikipedia has to say :)

In the winter, average temperatures range from the low to mid 70s °F (21–24 °C) during the day to the low to mid 50s °F (10–13 °C) at night. However, sustained colder air pushes into the area on several occasions every winter, dropping the highs and lows to 15 °F (8 °C) or more below the seasonal averages for several days at a time. The temperature can fall below freezing an average of 2 to 3 times per year, though this does not occur every season

I would not think you need to close as outdoor pool in FL let alone an indoor one.

Just maintain adequate FC for your CYA level. And if the temp drops below freezing at night, run the pump.

This is what I do as the climate is fairly similar with a few nights dropping below freezing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.