Pool Closing 2016 in NY - Anti-Freeze, Gizmo, and WinterBall?

Zhenky

Aug 22, 2016
New York
Good afternoon,

First - thank you for this site. Without it, I would have lost a LOT of money opening my pool.

This is my first pool and just wanted to run a few question by experts.

We live in Upstate NY and it does get very cold here. I'm going to add anti-freeze to my three supply lines - (1) do I need to add to the return line? Also, (2) how much do you fill per line? Just curious if you fill each line entirely until it begins to overflow or not.

I'm definitely getting a gizmo expansion device for the skimmer this year as well, or if there are other suggestions please let me know.

Lastly, I came across this WinterBall on Amazon. (3) Worth purchasing it or should I simply add algae prevention chemicals before closing.

Oh wait, final questions. (4) Is there a temperature to close the pool? For example, this week it's going to be 80-85 degrees. Just curious if there is a good "time" to close to keep mold from growing. Thank you very much!

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature.

Regarding Anti-Freeze, IMHO if the pool lines are closed properly, you will not need to add anything. If you want a little bit of insurance, then add to the lines. I would recommend following the label instructions. If you filled the lines completely, you could probably build another pool (LOL) as the cost is pretty expensive.

Again, the winter ball is probably not needed as NY gets real cold and algae will not survive in the extreme cold weather. Given the weather, another 3 weeks at most would be fine to close the pool. A lot depends on also when you open your pool and what type of cover you have on your pool. Solid covers work better than mesh.

How are you planning on closing your pool and what type of compressor or blower are you using? Is this your first year? Thanks!

Hey Catanzaro, thank you for the reply.

This is my first pool and closing as well.

I have a Craftsman shop-vac now, but I'm purchasing an air compressor (now is the perfect time to justify to the wife!).

The cover must be a type of mesh because when I opened the pool, cleaning it thoroughly, I remember water pushing through.

I'm working on the info for the signature now. It's difficult because our pool is in the shape of an 8. Also, the pump may be older than the pool, and the pool is easily over 20 years old. But the pump is a Pinnacle, working on the model number. The filter is a Sparco Hi-Efficiency Cartridge Fitler CC200. I attached a photo of our setup.
The pool is roughly 17,000 gallons with a vinyl liner, and no return on the bottom of the pool only on the side. Do you drop your water level? If you do, do you go below the skimmer or past the supply lines?

Thank you for all your help.

IMG_2765.jpg

No, just one skimmer.

I just double checked - I have 3 supply lines with eyeballs on them and also have 1 return that does feed back to the pump/filter and it's located on the side of the deep end of pool, there's a good 5 - 6 ft from it to ground floor of the pool. The filter does have a drain on the bottom that I've used to drain the pool when the water line was above the skimmer. Should I send pictures of the pool and the lines too? Thank you for your help.

No need to send pictures. Does a cartridge filter have any type of valve on top? If not, then the concept is all the same. There should be a drain plug on the cartridge filter and do not forget to eventually remove the pressure gauge.

The concept again is the same for all pools. You are blowing out the lines and closing them. For the skimmer you can use a Gizmo and for the return eyeballs, you can use black rubber plugs. Is there a fitting in the pump housing that you can hook up an air compressor with an adapter? If so, you will need a standard fitting. What you were planning on using to blow out the lines? Please see below.

First time closing pool!!
Post # 7 for the standard air fittings. Good Thread.

Thank you MarianParoo, reading through the link you attached this morning.

Thank you Catanzaro, I am using an air compressor 2HP to blow the lines. The filter does have a little air release adaptor on the top, and thank you for the heads up on the gauge that would've cost me money next year. I'll have to check the pump if there are any fittings I can attach the compressor to. Is that the same as the drain plugs or would it be somewhere different? Noob question I know but I honestly don't know. But if there is a fitting for it, could I just leave the plastic skimmer lid on the pump, attach the compressor, and blow the lines out that way? Lastly, the water level I would drop below the skimmer or should I not tamper with it?

You guys really are the best, can't thank you enough for the help. This site has literally saved me hundreds of dollars.

I'll have to check the pump if there are any fittings I can attach the compressor to. Is that the same as the drain plugs or would it be somewhere different? Noob question I know but I honestly don't know. But if there is a fitting for it, could I just leave the plastic skimmer lid on the pump, attach the compressor, and blow the lines out that way? Lastly, the water level I would drop below the skimmer or should I not tamper with it?

The drain plug is threaded and that is where the compressor line is hooked up to. I personally would drain below the skimmer and try to vacuum water out of the skimmers first so blowing out the lines are easier. You could even possibly try closing all the returns (with black plugs first) and then try vacuuming water out (backwards) as much as possible. Then hook up the compressor and remove the plugs and blow the lines out this way. It may work, who knows as most of the water should be out of the lines. All depends on how powerful the vacuum is.

I know last year, I removed 95% of all the water out of the lines just with the vacuum. The main drain is another issue. Remember to isolate each section so it is easier to remove the water out of the lines. If you have everything open at once, then you will have a difficult time. In addition, I use rubber plugs in the pump housing to close off and isolate areas (suction vs. return side) and this makes closing a lot easier.

I have the Cyclone, so volume is never an issue with my closing. Keep us posted!

Thank you Catanzaro, the vacuum idea I'm definitely trying. Also, limiting the flow to a return/suction is awesome.

Random question, after plugging the one suction line I have, can I plug 2 of my returns and leave 1 open or should I leave all open when using compressor? I didn't know if I could push one line out at a time, plug it, remove another return line, push that water out, etc. until all the lines were done - or if all the return lines need to be open. Thank you again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you Catanzaro, the vacuum idea I'm definitely trying. Also, limiting the flow to a return/suction is awesome.

Random question, after plugging the one suction line I have, can I plug 2 of my returns and leave 1 open or should I leave all open when using compressor? I didn't know if I could push one line out at a time, plug it, remove another return line, push that water out, etc. until all the lines were done - or if all the return lines need to be open. Thank you again!

You should close the return side (while suction side is close) and vice versa. All the returns are usually open while blowing air through the system. I you have 3 returns (for example) and you start using the compressor, the first line will blow first (because of least resistance) and once you plug the return line with the black rubber expansion plug, then the next line will blow and so on. The reason why I mention possibly closing all 3 returns (again just an example as you may have less or more) is to remove some of the water first and then open the valves up,etc. Water will not siphon back in that quickly and if you have a few people, the whole closing will be smoother.

Edit:

I think I understand the question. Logic would tell you that if you close the first 2 returns closest to the pump, that water would naturally be pushed to the end like a sprinkler system. I have thought about this but have never done it. If you have resistance, then definitely do this. Otherwise, leave open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.