When to Replace Mesh Cover

May 30, 2016
Des Moines Iowa
We just moved in to my current house with an inground pool in may. This is in Iowa and we will have heavy snows. My dogs ran across the mesh cover a few times before we opened and it sank wayyyyy down when they did. There is a few small holes, the straps are pulled as tight as they can be, and the color is starting to fade in places especially on the straps.

Does this sound like a need to replace the cover? I am concerned about the weight of snow and my two dogs being on the cover during the winter. I also have a 9 and 10 year old who probably wont listen when we tell them not to walk on it. I have already committed to buying a new one but would like a second opinion before I do.

Thanks for the help!

If you are up for a test, install it with the water down 16" below the surface (if that's how low you pump it out) and walk on it yourself. I'm expecting that putting you heels down may cause the cover to start to rip quite easily.

You can also try to take an exposed section of the cover in between your fingers and bend it to create a crease. A cover with life left in it will not have any cracking or brittle sensation to it.

I fully expect it to be ready for replacement. However, just the dipping of the cover may indicate that the springs are shot. While they could be replaced, that also points to a cover a certain age which would likely coincide with being aged all around and near replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.