Pool just installed - chemical questions

Jun 2, 2009
Hello,

We just had our 27' round above ground pool installed this week and as of yesterday evening it is full and the pump is on, yippie. I was wondering what to do for chemical balance for new pools. I order the pool test kit recommended on the site here. I tested the water with the test strips it came with and the ph level was high (so I added some PH down that came with the pool), the chlorine was non existent (as expected). Do I balance the PH first than the total alkalinity and than chlorine? I have a cartage based filter with one of those automatic chlorinator, should I put chlorine pack in now or wait till the PH and alkalinity are in balance? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you can put some tablets in the chlorinator and set it on some intermediate setting, and then adjust based on how the FC level behaves. You can also go ahead and adjust the PH and TA levels. The order of adjusting things is usually not too important, though keep in mind that TA and PH adjustments affect each other. If you tell us your current levels, we can give you some hints about that best way to do it, but you can also just figure it out for your self without too much trouble.

Hi and welcome.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you really want to avoid using that Aquasmart system, which is a re-branded verison of the Pool Frog (I used to have one :grrrr: ).

Read about Ionizer systems in this article here.

I used the Pool Frog for 5 years and started having problems around year 3. I found TFP 2 years ago and never looked back, been using BBB ever since with no regrets. Save yourself the frustration and money by ditching it today. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.