New Jandy ePump Variable speed installed, air in basket, cant figure it ou

Dixit

Jul 16, 2012
Duluth, GA (ATL)
I had originally on this setup a Sta-Rite Max E Pro 2hp single speed pump, working fine, no issues with it, no air in the basket, worked fine. Just ended up getting a great deal on this Jandy ePump VSSHP270AUT model. So we went ahead and installed it.

Now the Sta-Rite doesn't match piping so, we had to cut the intake and pressure side, and then get it all plumbed up properly and used the new pump fittings on the ePump. New fittings have the new oRings. Pump is brand new.

So we re-PVC'ed it. Had to do some configuration work on my iAqualink to get it to fire, you have to wire this pump to always be HOT (directly to breaker, not to the RS panel relays like normal single or two speed pumps would be). Had the RS485 wire also run. iAqualink sees the ePump, did some speed configuration, and fired it up.

Turned on, but there is always 2" of air in the basket. Remember previous pump never had air. So started checking everything, originally hand tightened the pump fittings, like it says, now removed it, put some magic lube on the orings, tightened it down this time a little more with a strap wrench (don't worry didn't man handle it). Still air.

Then decided need to find out if the fittings leaking (the ones we glued on the intake/vacuum side). So I used this carpet cleaner in an aerosol can that foams like crazy when sprayed, so sprayed it all over the fittings, if there was a leak it would start sucking up the foam, sprayed the fittings, nothing. Sprayed the entire lid cover and bottom part thinking maybe its the lid, no leak. Then sprayed all my intake valves (I have three, main drain, skimmers, and then one automated one for the spa). Nothing leaking there. Even sprayed the drain plug on the vacuum side of the pump, nothing there I could tell. I even put the original blue pressure oring that comes with the pump (Jandy keeps that on the pump lid to allow installers to pressure test the entire system), so its like a double oring on the lid side, still didn't help.

Ive tried to run pump full tilt (3450rpm for 5mins) and still has air.

Any other ideas?

Dixit

Are you seeing air bubbles coming out of the pool returns? I have a new Jandy system also and I have spoken with Jandy customer service and a couple big Jandy dealers. This appears to be normal in the pump. I went through the same concerns, but there is no leak. Seems this air bubble in the pump window is normal.

Only saw that initially obviously cause the lid was off and air was entered into the system. But not seeing any bubbles or anything odd in by system.

Well its god to know you are seeing the same issue. Im assuming you still have the same issue with that much air in the system?

Dixit

Some further info. Today was checking it, been running for like 5days now, and still same amount of air, so that tells me nothing leaking on the vacuum side. So I have an infloor cleaner popups as noted in my signature and the leaf be gone system. So today decided to turn the waterfall on (simply divert water to that instead of say my floor pop ups (I don't have any other pool returns, only the infloor popups, the waterfall, and the leaf be gone jet). Once I opened that valve, obviously water went there, but all the sudden almost the entire air bubble was gone, basically about a little bigger than a half dollar still left that it cant seem to force itself out. Then put it back to normal mode which is just infloor and leaf be gone and bubble is the same (as in didn't get larger, same larger than a half dollar). So I guess it needed a ton of flow/force to get that air gap out. Not fully out either, but not really bothering me as much now as it seems to be tied to flow.

Dixit

Mine does as well, and the bubble will fluctuate in size depending on the rpm.

I was pretty concerned about it at first based on several posts here, and other info.

PB said is normal (he buried the pipes... Do i believe him??).

Operating for about a month now. No bubbles in the return to speak of, and I can't see any coming into the basket from the suction side.

It must have something to do with Jandy's rediculously large lid and basket...

I finally saw a post or two here that acknowledges this, and I've quit worrying about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.