2-speed motor options, which is best?

dfahrion

Bronze Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
Iowa
I noticed my 1HP 1.25SF WhisperFlo (WR-24) pump started leaking a few weeks back. I wasn't too concerned about the water loss and was hoping to rebuild this winter after pool is closed, but now it has gotten quite loud so I think the water has gotten to the motor. After looking into what it takes to rebuild the pump and bearings I started looking at prices and decided based on how cheap these motors are I might as well just replace it. But while I'm doing that it is a perfect time to upgrade to 2-speed.

My current motor specs:
CAT B2853 FR P56Y HP 1 SF 1.25 Volts 230/115 (connected as 230).

From what I've learned here I just need a total HP of 1.25. Anyway, I thought I was done deciding things but found out there are still more choices than I would expect.

The first motor I found using inyopools website was this one:
UQS1102R A.O. Smith 1 H.P Square Flange Dual Speed Up Rate Motor - UQS1102R - INYOPools.com
But it says it is in stock it also says "No Longer Available. Replaced by SQS1072R" searching SQS1072R is also "No Longer Available" and is not in stock.

That got me thinking there might be something better/newer I was missing. So I search some more and found this one. It is $37 more though, is it worth it?
B2980 A.O. Smith Motor, Sq Fl E-plus,full,2 Speed 230v 3/4 Hp (b2980) - INYOPools.com
Then I noticed the slightly bigger motor is much cheaper for some reason:
B2982 A.O. Smith 1 HP Energy Efficient Dual Spd. Motor - Full Rate (B982, B2982) - INYOPools.com
Can I run a full-rate motor with my up-rated pump? Are there any real drawbacks to doing that? Is there an up-rated 1HP 2-speed energy efficient option I am missing?

Finally the 2 speeds don't come with a switch, but I wouldn't want it on the motor itself anyway. I'd like to run some extra wires through the conduit to get near where the on-off switch or timer lives and add one there, any gotchas there?

Thanks!

The B2980 is the correct total hp for a swap. The B2982 is 1.65 thp, so you'd have to change impellers to use it. I wired mine by running wires through the conduit to a 3-way switch to change speeds. It's really cramped in that little motor wiring compartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After doing some more math the UQS1102R doesn't make sense, at almost double the power for low speed, the $37 would pay for itself in just 3 years even at my usage. I believe I could have gotten away with the B2982 without changing impellers. My understanding is oversized motor is OK, undersized is not, but I think there is an efficiency penalty for doing that, so that would not be ideal either. I ended up solving my problem of paying more for the smaller motor by doing some more searching around. I found the B2980 for about the price listed for the B2982 from a supplier closer to me (hopefully that means faster shipping).

Yes, an over sized motor is fine, under sized is not.

However, you really can't judge the motor's power usage by the motor label rated amps. That is only relevant when the motor is at full load which almost never happens in a pump motor especially at low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.