Motor won't start on Pentair SuperFlo - Two Speed

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
About a week ago I have noticed that my pump's motor stopped working. I searched for the problem online, and found this post (Help. Motor just hums... won't start). It will start if I hit on it for a while.

This past weekend, I opened the switch panel on the back to see if anything was out of place, or to see if I could notice anything wrong, and I could not.

One thing I noticed though is that it is getting harder and harder for it to start (yesterday I spent about 5 minutes hitting it on the side to get it to start), so for now I am just leaving it on 24hrs on the lower speed. Also, I noticed starting the past 2/3 days, that It is making a ratling noise when it starts, almost like something is loose inside.

I only went to the extend of removing the switch panel, and 3 of the 4 long screws in an attempt to open up the rear portion but I gave up on opening it to gather more info.

I took a few pictures (https://goo.gl/photos/n9EEepUEDQE5oniAA) - the black stuff on the connectors (back of the speed switch) is just dirt. Base on this, does anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks!

Thanks @mas985.

The noise happens only when it starts, then it goes away. However, as far as "getting it started" do you have any idea what it could be? A friend of mine said it could be the "centrifugal switch". The pump is only about 2 years old. I'm going to try to take it apart this coming weekend.

Thanks!

(yesterday I spent about 5 minutes hitting it on the side to get it to start)
This is what makes me think it is the bearings.

But it doesn't hurt to check the switch. Sometimes the contacts get corroded.

If you spin the motor shaft by hand, is it smooth or a lot of resistance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.