automatic pH controller

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I just learned that there is such a thing as something that adds pH to the pool automatically. I am thinking this would be especially good for when on vacation. Since my pool seems to need acid every 2-3 days and I already have some scaling this is of interest to me. I know I may have to change how much acid is being added to the pool if I am trying to adjust TA and still have to add acid to the controller, but I'm thinking the less I have to pull out acid from the locked shed and manage acid around my marbella stone along with vacations... this is sounding pretty good. Any postiives/negatives and info would be great. thx!

As Y/S points out, the automated ones have reported issues with the probe/sensor. They need constant cleanin, calibration and replacement to remain accurate.

The other option is to use a Stenner pump to deliver a constant amount of acid to the pool every day.

As Y/S points out, the automated ones have reported issues with the probe/sensor. They need constant cleanin, calibration and replacement to remain accurate.

The other option is to use a Stenner pump to deliver a constant amount of acid to the pool every day.
Tim, what would the benefits of a Stenner pump be? I looked it up quick but have never heard of them before. thanku

The Stenner pumps are a simple time based dosing pump for acid or chlorine. You control the amount that gets dispensed by the amount of time it is set to run.

I'm in a similar situation as you. My pool takes a lot of acid very frequently to stay happy. I have Pentair's version of an acid pump - the IntelliPH. While I do like it, it does have a few frustrating safety features and requires yearly (or more often) pump head replacement.

First things first, get your TA in check. The lower the better (50-60 with a pH of 7.6-7.8) and see if that helps at all. If you still find it difficult to keep up then it may be time to look into automated chemical dosing.

Along with checking your water chemistry and adjusting TA, test the fill water that your pool uses. If you have high TA fill water, that can be a big source of alkalinity and pH rise. I'm in AZ as well and the water here is both high in hardness (calcium) as well as alkalinity (carbonate). It makes managing the pH of pool water very chemical intensive.

If you do have high pH/high TA fill water, then reducing evaporation and fill can greatly slow pH rise. With my pool covered, I get almost zero pH rise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks! 2 really negative reviews and one great one. Yaniv, what kind do u have and what kind of maintenance do u do for yours? How long have u had it for? I guess any technology could go wrong at any point.
This is what i have:
Sense and Dispense (HL-CHEM), Ph Dispense System (AQL-CHEM3)

I have it for one session, I came to trust the system in a way that i check FC once a week and PH once every 2-3 weeks just to double check the probes are doing their jobs.
So far no issues, it keeps the PH at 7.5 all day long and FC at 3ppm stable.

+1 on the Stenner.

One of the main reasons they are so popular on this site is they are extremely reliable and parts like the roller tube, compression fittings and check valve are readily available. For MA my system cost me a little more than $300 to setup and I anticipate about $50 a year on average for replacement parts. $20 most years for just a roller tube and rarely a check valve or roller assembly.

I have been using the Pentair intellichem system. Ph readings tend to be quite reliable and stable when calibrated. Over a 6 month time frame I usually have to clean the probe once, or not at all. I keep a continuous but low flow in my sensing chamber. The ORP probe is a bit more finicky and readings will vary more , but also quite helpful to maintain FC in my situation. This year we re-did our plaster and having the Automation has been great because of the pools constant acid requirement.

The Stenner pumps are a simple time based dosing pump for acid or chlorine. You control the amount that gets dispensed by the amount of time it is set to run.

I'm in a similar situation as you. My pool takes a lot of acid very frequently to stay happy. I have Pentair's version of an acid pump - the IntelliPH. While I do like it, it does have a few frustrating safety features and requires yearly (or more often) pump head replacement.

First things first, get your TA in check. The lower the better (50-60 with a pH of 7.6-7.8) and see if that helps at all. If you still find it difficult to keep up then it may be time to look into automated chemical dosing.
that sounds like a plan. thx!

- - - Updated - - -

Along with checking your water chemistry and adjusting TA, test the fill water that your pool uses. If you have high TA fill water, that can be a big source of alkalinity and pH rise. I'm in AZ as well and the water here is both high in hardness (calcium) as well as alkalinity (carbonate). It makes managing the pH of pool water very chemical intensive.

If you do have high pH/high TA fill water, then reducing evaporation and fill can greatly slow pH rise. With my pool covered, I get almost zero pH rise.
great to know about the evaporation. pb recently told me we need to add extra pH in the winter so that theory wouldn't seem to make sense unless it's for another reason. I"ll be watching and I am considering a blanket or rings (safer for kids). thx!

Agreed with above the best thing you can do to control/reduce pH rise is lower your TA to 50-60, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity then add 50 ppm of borates, Borates - Why and How. Also not running devices that aerate the water such as bubblers or waterfalls.
I'll have to read more about this. thx for the tip! when i skimmed the info on borates so far and it said it could be harmful to pets I was leary, but it said boric acid. I picture boric acid as being more like natural (not pool grade) DE where it dehydrates insects, but I'm not sure so I"ll have to look into this more. Great to know!

- - - Updated - - -

sounds like the Stenner is something to consider!

I called Hayward about pH automation a week or 2 ago and they said to have the pH at 7.5 the pump would have to be kept on (low speed is fine) 24 hrs/day. Is this the same with a stennar pump?

Also, would someone mind showing me a picture of how u have it set up on your equipment? would i have the pool company install one or is this more outside of the box thinking? thanku!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.