Wireing A Firemans Switch to Pool heater

tjm339

Apr 9, 2012
I just replaced my Hayward heater with a Raypak and noticed that the pool company who installed the original heater wired my Firemans switch in the timer box so that 110 volts runs through the firemans switch than out to the heater. It worked all these years but I don't think the Firemans micro switch was built to handle full house voltage. The way they did it only one pair of wires run out to the heater from the timer. I am pretty sure this is not wired properly and should have been two separate runs from the timer to the heater; one carrying current to run the heater and the other for the firemans switch to the safety circuit within the heater. I want to correct this and run the Firemans switch wires from the timer to the heater and wired into the safety circuit, with no current in them just acting as a switch.

Presently there is only one 3/4"conduit run from the timer to the heater. I have a few questions. Is this the way it used to be done and is it legal, also if i want to correct this can I run both the wires supplying current and the wires for the safety switch in the same conduit between the timer and the heater. Thanks.

The firemans switch should be attached to the timer clock and it operates off of 24V. I'm pretty sure it's not connected to the 120V side. Post a picture here so we can confirm.

You should run the high voltage and low voltage in separate conduits. Although some pool companies will wire the heater through the fireman with high voltage it isn't recommended. Follow the install manual that came with heater so there are no questions later about warranties and such.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.