Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp stopped working

Joelin

May 14, 2015
RedBud,IL
Was doing my routine maint and shut the pump off, went to restart it and it just hummed. Typically I would say the capacitor was shot but can't find one on it? Funny thing is I decided to go ahead and close it for the winter amd worry about it in the spring, so I pulled it off. Plugged it in on the bench and gave it a spin by hand and now it runs? Any thoughts?

There is no capacitor in the end cap of the motor?

Is there centrifugal switch?

Could be corroded contacts.

Did it spin easy by hand?

Once running did it make a lot of noise?

Sorry it took so long to respond. No capacitor in it that I can find, It does have a terminal block in it for the ac line and the switch-Maybe that could be it. Now it does have what acts like a clutch that spins in and engages when it starts. Once it was running on the bench it sounded normal however the pump was empty and there was no load on it. Didn't want to run it to long dry. It's about 9-10 years old now so maybe it's just time? It spun freely by hand as well.

Last edited:
The switch is right on top of the governor. Look something like this:

1__49260.1388053362.1280.1280.jpg

Emery cloth would probably work best but sand paper can work in a pinch.

Also you can check to make sure the switch is aligned to the governor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.