Water feature pump sizing

dtrain

Sep 18, 2016
Arizona
Let me start off with a disclaimer, I know nothing about pools, just trying to learn.

Question

What would you recommend for pumping the following pool with multiple water features.
We will assume the spa has it's own pump to simplify things and all features need to be able to run at the same time along with the pool circulation.

Pool size - 18,000 gallons
Water features - 36" wide waterfall, 2-laminar jets, 2-tanning deck bubblers, 2 column scuppers at 5' above pool

From the research I have done so far here are the GPM requirements for each feature.
CMP LED Waterfall 36" - 36 GPM
Jandy laminar jet - 8 GPM each = 16 GPM
CMP LED Bubblers - 15 GPM each = 30 GPM
Bobe Fire 1 1/2" Cannon Scupper - 10 GPM each = 20 GPM
Total = 102 GPM

For the pool I am assuming 60' of head, 8 hr turnover = 38 GPM min.

Am I going about this correctly and would need a pump that puts out 140 GPM to run everything at once? Maybe a Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed High Performance pump which can produce 140 GPM at 60' of head.

If the pool circulation was scheduled to run at a time when the water features would not be in use than couldn't a smaller pump rated at min of 102 GPM be used?

Would putting the water features on their own pump be wise?

I'm assuming that the drains and return ports would need to equal or exceed the maximum flow rate?

The Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed High Performance pump has an inlet and outlet of 2", 2" pipe has a max flow rate of around 90-100 GPM. The pump can produce 140 GPM, the pipe can only flow 90 GPM, would you put an increaser right after the pump and increase to 3" than manifold off to each feature or use a 2" wye and come off with 2 - 2" lines?

Thanks in advance!

Am I going about this correctly and would need a pump that puts out 140 GPM to run everything at once?
You will get circulation with all the water features so you really don't need to add anything on top of that. Also, you will never be able to get 60' of head at 140 GPM. That is like 3" pipe without any equipment. Also, that is close to run out so the pump would probably be in cavitation.

The Intelliflo can do about 100 GPM with 2" plumbing and a cartridge filter. That is a little more realistic.

You might want to go with feature pumps so they can be run independently or in groups.

Also, turnover doesn't matter: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.