Adding directional jets - no threads on returns?

Sep 9, 2008
I have a pretty old pool (circa 1965) and there are only 2 returns for the pool. I would like to add directional jets to the returns but there are no threads on the return pipes. :eek:

Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?

Thanks,

Patricia

I believe it's PVC. I was thinking I could glue a threaded PVC extension into the existing pipe but I've never done anything like that. Is there glue you can use underwater? If not I would have to drain the pool almost half-way to do both returns as one is about 3' down on the side of the pool next to the sweep return.

Patricia

I just went through an ordeal with my returns trying to make an aerator. what I found that worked for me was to shove 1" pvc deep as possible into the hole. it would stay pretty well. so if you found pvc pipe that you could fit into the hole, cut it so just a little bit is sticking out, then put like a 45 degree or 90 degree elbow on the end of the pvc, it would direct the water somewhat.

rlsnights said:
I have a pretty old pool (circa 1965) and there are only 2 returns for the pool. I would like to add directional jets to the returns but there are no threads on the return pipes. :eek:

Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?

Thanks,

Patricia

Waterway makes returns which are simply a friction fit for the interior of the pipe. I think these are pretty typical and used in gunite installations. Some are shown here.

Thanks - that looks like exactly what I need. :party:

Now I just have to find a local retail outlet. Any hints on how to find one?

I tried the MFR website which re-directed me to local wholesalers who do not appear to have outlets in Sacramento! And the retail pool outlets that I called don't carry this brand and don't have anything like it.

Patricia

Try doing a google search on the Waterway part #. Sometimes you will get a hit that way. Otherwise, find an online retailer who sells fittings and see if they would carry that part #. Even Leslie's should be able to order the part if they don't carry it.

Wholly thread resurrection!!

I have a pool that was remodeled 20 months ago and the flow has never been quite right. I *think* I can improve the flow by adding an eyeball or two. It's a plaster pool and the piping is non threaded PVC and the suggestion above sounds exactly perfect but the suppliers site looks to be out of date out of business. Can anyone make a more current suggestion?

Thanks!

Are you sure yours are PVC? Someone must have done some work on it if they are... pools from that era are typically copper plumbed (like mine is!). I was told the returns have to be chipped out, the existing plumbing cut back past the deck, and new PVC run from the existing copper to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.