Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding directional jets - no threads on returns?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding directional jets - no threads on returns?

I have a pretty old pool (circa 1965) and there are only 2 returns for the pool. I would like to add directional jets to the returns but there are no threads on the return pipes.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?

Thanks,

Patricia
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

Sacramento, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding directional jets - no threads on returns?

What are the pipes made of? Are they PVC, or metal, or something else?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I believe it's PVC. I was thinking I could glue a threaded PVC extension into the existing pipe but I've never done anything like that. Is there glue you can use underwater? If not I would have to drain the pool almost half-way to do both returns as one is about 3' down on the side of the pool next to the sweep return.

Patricia
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

Sacramento, CA

4. Back To Top    #4

I just went through an ordeal with my returns trying to make an aerator. what I found that worked for me was to shove 1" pvc deep as possible into the hole. it would stay pretty well. so if you found pvc pipe that you could fit into the hole, cut it so just a little bit is sticking out, then put like a 45 degree or 90 degree elbow on the end of the pvc, it would direct the water somewhat.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

You could also wrap electrical tape around the pvc to get it to wedge into the return hole.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by rlsnights
    I have a pretty old pool (circa 1965) and there are only 2 returns for the pool. I would like to add directional jets to the returns but there are no threads on the return pipes.

Any suggestions on how to deal with this problem?

Thanks,

Patricia
    Waterway makes returns which are simply a friction fit for the interior of the pipe. I think these are pretty typical and used in gunite installations. Some are shown here.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks - that looks like exactly what I need.

Now I just have to find a local retail outlet. Any hints on how to find one?

I tried the MFR website which re-directed me to local wholesalers who do not appear to have outlets in Sacramento! And the retail pool outlets that I called don't carry this brand and don't have anything like it.

Patricia

Sacramento, CA

8. Back To Top    #8

Try doing a google search on the Waterway part #. Sometimes you will get a hit that way. Otherwise, find an online retailer who sells fittings and see if they would carry that part #. Even Leslie's should be able to order the part if they don't carry it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Wholly thread resurrection!!

I have a pool that was remodeled 20 months ago and the flow has never been quite right. I *think* I can improve the flow by adding an eyeball or two. It's a plaster pool and the piping is non threaded PVC and the suggestion above sounds exactly perfect but the suppliers site looks to be out of date out of business. Can anyone make a more current suggestion?

Thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

Are you sure yours are PVC? Someone must have done some work on it if they are... pools from that era are typically copper plumbed (like mine is!). I was told the returns have to be chipped out, the existing plumbing cut back past the deck, and new PVC run from the existing copper to the pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!