IGP covers

gtr1999

Bronze Supporter
Aug 4, 2016
New Haven CT
I am getting ready to close the pool for the first time. I just checked the cover left for the pool and see there are holes in it and it should be replaced. I can get a 21 x 37' cover for $65 and I guess they only last a couple of seasons. I like those safety covers with the spring loading. What is the benefit and what should I expect to pay if I go that route?

Thanks

I was quoted $3500 for a replacement cover from the original builder of my pool...its a grecian shape, 30.5x18.5.

If you don't already have that type of cover, you'd need the eyebots drilled into the concrete as well.

I've seen winter covers for cheaper online, which would be a DIY measure and install. I've also seen them quoted higher, especially for custom shapes. Mine is a pretty standard shape.

In the case of the mesh safety covers, the advantage is safety, eg if you have small children that might play in the yard in winter. The second advantage to the mesh safety type is that snowmelt drains back into the pool and you don't need a cover pump.

The third advantage of either the mesh safety cover or the solid style cover is that the spring-loaded attachment holds the cover in place firmly so that autumnal debris etc. does not get into the pool and the wind in a storm will not move it.

My cover is a solid-mesh hybrid with a drain square in the middle. Its heavier than the mesh. However this type is not really a safety cover the way the mesh ones are. I've heard a few anecdotal reports tat the mesh cover does allow a little sunlight and dirt to get in...but you can offset any algae etc. by opening "cold" while the water is under 60 degrees, which is a best practice anyway.

I was quoted $3500 for a replacement cover from the original builder of my pool...its a grecian shape, 30.5x18.5.

If you don't already have that type of cover, you'd need the eyebots drilled into the concrete as well.

I've seen winter covers for cheaper online, which would be a DIY measure and install. I've also seen them quoted higher, especially for custom shapes. Mine is a pretty standard shape.

In the case of the mesh safety covers, the advantage is safety, eg if you have small children that might play in the yard in winter. The second advantage to the mesh safety type is that snowmelt drains back into the pool and you don't need a cover pump.

The third advantage of either the mesh safety cover or the solid style cover is that the spring-loaded attachment holds the cover in place firmly so that autumnal debris etc. does not get into the pool and the wind in a storm will not move it.

My cover is a solid-mesh hybrid with a drain square in the middle. Its heavier than the mesh. However this type is not really a safety cover the way the mesh ones are. I've heard a few anecdotal reports tat the mesh cover does allow a little sunlight and dirt to get in...but you can offset any algae etc. by opening "cold" while the water is under 60 degrees, which is a best practice anyway.

Thank you, that make perfect sense. I probably won't have time to do much research this year so I'll go with the solid cover and look into the safety covers next year. I like the looks of the ones I've seen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.