New Pool owner and confused with SWG and Cl levels

Sep 18, 2016
Lebanon, VA
Our pool was finished mid July 2016. For the first five weeks it was on chlorine tablets while the plaster cured. Then switched to salt. I thought I was learning and understanding how to keep the pool balanced. However, while the salt reading is around 3600 the Cl is reading at the deep pink 10 level. The pool is clear, it doesn't smell, I swim in it regardless. Typically I add muriatic acid once a week to keep the Ph in level in range. But I can't find any reason for the high chlorine levels. What am I missing or not understanding?

To take control of your pool chemistry you need dependable, accurate testing. That means owning and using a good test kit. That is the only way you will know exactly what is going on in your pool. There are only two test kits that are recommend, and of those two the TF-100 is by far the best value.
TFTestkits.net
It gives you all the tests you need to manage your pool and more of the reagents you will use the most. Color matching for chlorine levels is fine for a daily "guesstimate" of the level but to get definitive numbers you need FAS/DPD testing.

To control your chlorine level in a SWG pool you adjust your run time and/or the output setting on the SWG control.

I have a fairly good test kit in the [FONT=&quot]TAYLOR K-2006 Complete Swimming Pool/Spa Test Kit FAS-DPD K2006. Is it not reliable? Also, the builder has had us keep the system running since it was turned on in July. They set the SWG output setting. A technician is coming the end of this week to install a bigger pump for the spa jets since two of the seven don't work well. Is there something specific I should query him about regarding the chlorine testing?

[/FONT]

Shadow,

If you have the kit with the FAS-DPD chlorine test, then you are fine. Most people do not have that test, so they can't really tell the FC level when it is above 5 ppm or so..

You have the EasyTouch, so I assume you have the Pentair IC40 or IC60 chlorine generator. Just go look and see how many lights are lit across the bottom row of lights. One light is about 20% while all the lights would indicate 100%

An FC of 10 ppm is not all that high and swimming in it is nothing to worry about. Better too high than too low. I run mine at about 7 ppm.

If you want to change the SWG's output, you can. Do you have ScreenLogic2? This will allow you to adjust the SWG's output right from your PC. Let us know and we can point you in the right direction..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for reassuring me the chlorine is not too high. The chlorinator has three lights on. I have ScreenLogic Connect. Other than checking Salt level and turning on the heater or spa, I've been hesitant to do anything else. If the salt reading is running between 3600 and 3750, should I adjust it? I think ideal is around 3400 according to what's on the equipment.

Thank you!

Our pool was finished mid July 2016. For the first five weeks it was on chlorine tablets while the plaster cured. Then switched to salt. I thought I was learning and understanding how to keep the pool balanced. However, while the salt reading is around 3600 the Cl is reading at the deep pink 10 level. The pool is clear, it doesn't smell, I swim in it regardless. Typically I add muriatic acid once a week to keep the Ph in level in range. But I can't find any reason for the high chlorine levels. What am I missing or not understanding?
Welcome to TFP.

A FC of 10ppm is not that high if your CYA is at least 30ppm.

Can you post a complete set of test results (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, & CYA)?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a fairly good test kit in the TAYLOR K-2006 Complete Swimming Pool/Spa Test Kit FAS-DPD K2006. Is it not reliable? Also, the builder has had us keep the system running since it was turned on in July. They set the SWG output setting. A technician is coming the end of this week to install a bigger pump for the spa jets since two of the seven don't work well. Is there something specific I should query him about regarding the chlorine testing?

Your signature lists the Taylor K2005, but you say you have the K2006. Which is it?

Another comment is that you mention that the FC level is at the deep pink 10 level. That is not an FC level obtained from using the FAS-DPD test. Deep pink has mostly nothing to do with FC on the FAS-DPD endpoint. Just want to make sure you are using the correct test to measure FC very accurately.

Shadow,

ScreenLogic2 is a great tool, but not if your Pool Builder never showed you how to use it. Sigh!!! Ask him to come back and give you a little training...

To adjust your Chlorine level, you select "Chlorinator" and it will bring up a screen that shows the salt level at the bottom and Chlorinator Output at the top. The only thing that you can "adjust" is the percentage of Chlorine the SWG is generating. My guess is that yours is set at about 70%, because you have three lights on.. If you want to adjust it down, just click on the left arrow next to "Pool Output"... I suggest you set it at about 40% and test your FC for a couple of days and see where you are. Remember the SWG's output is controlled by two things.. one the % of output set in ScreenLogic, and two, the number of hours your pump is running.

Just to make sure you understand.. you cannot adjust the salt level using ScreenLogic, the only way to increase the salt level is to manually add bags of salt to your pool. ScreenLogic just reports what the salt level is.

As the others have said.. :testresults:

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks,

Jim R.

I really didn't understand what the Pool Output stood for. Thank you. It is set at 50%. Up until now I've only tested the Chlorine and the pH. I was told not to worry about the other tests. I'll attempt them tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Thank you,
Carol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really didn't understand what the Pool Output stood for. Thank you. It is set at 50%. Up until now I've only tested the Chlorine and the pH. I was told not to worry about the other tests. I'll attempt them tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Thank you,
Carol
When you post your test results, can you please clarify which test kit you have? The K2005 is a DPD test, and only checks FC to 10ppm.

If you have the K2006, please update your signature to eliminate confusion.

Your signature lists the Taylor K2005, but you say you have the K2006. Which is it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.