Autopilot water flow sensitivity

ewsb

May 26, 2007
Northern VA
Pool Size
My Autopilot seems to continually complain about the flow level being too low. Is there an optimum flow. I have a pentair variable flow pump and have begin to raise the flow to 50 GPM to get the autopilot to work.

The AutoPilot needs between 15 and 20 GPM to keep the flow sensor happy.

It is possible that the strainer in the manifold has gotten dirty and is diverting too much water through the bypass. If the strainer is already clean, you might have a problem with the flow sensor.

The check valve is at the bottom of the manifold. Clear piece with a spring. If the spring is extended fully, attachs to a part that blocks off the water flow thru the clear piece. If I have all my valves (spa, swimout, step jets) open I get a check flow indication. Pump on low speed, I have to set the valves to restrict the flow to these items and more to Autopilot.

The spring is holding a plunger against one end of the clear section of pipe. At the end of the plunger is a rubber sealing ring, which is red on my unit. That ring should fit tightly against a clear plastic rim. when the pump is on high, it should move away from the rim and water is pass through the clear section of pipe. You want the seal to be flat against the rim, without any visible debris in between.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.