Pool fence question

Sep 19, 2015
Austin, TX
I'm needing to install a pool fence for the city permit, and I need some advice.

On one side of my pool, I do not have concrete (just grass). I've had 3 bids, 2 of them said they don't do the concrete footers to do the fence in dirt, and the one that does quoted $3700 (145 feet of fence).

For that price, I'm inclined to make it a DIY project with something like this: Amazon.com : Pool Fence DIY by Life Saver Fencing Section Kit, 4 x 12-Feet, Black : Swimming Pool Covers : Patio, Lawn Garden

Looks like the materials would be around $1300. I'd rent a concrete drill from HD, and figure out how to do concrete footers (I'd probably find a day laborer to help out). I'm worried that it won't come out well though, especially with the leveling over the grassy area.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing or know where I might be able to find someone to do it for me who is not so expensive? I can't believe there are so many "pool fence" installers that won't do concrete footers.

Thanks!

I had a very similar question. See my thread Child Fence in Grass/Soil

First and foremost be sure your DIY will pass city inspection.

I'm still undecided on what we will do. Most likely stick with our decking and bite the bullet on the extra linear feet. The cost winds up being about the same as the concrete footers and the aesthetics are more favorable and will alleviate any lawn care challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prices are very regional, so hard to compare.

• as grumpiebk said, you need to make sure understand your codes. If once built it doesn't meet them, they could make you take it down. If you build without having them inspect, then it can become a insurance liability issue - it accident, they could decline to cover if fence never passed inspection.
  • I would personally not install a fence without concrete footers, as rainy weather over time could see potential shifts. Did you ask those that do not do concrete if they could? Labor increase would be minimal, as they could use quickset (just pour power in hole and water). So there would be the cost of the quickset.
  • A DIY can be done, which I did consider when I put up my original fence. If you land is fairly level that makes it easier. If there are slopes, especially semi-steep, that is a lot more complicated, and why I ended up biting the bullet and paying for the install.
  • You don't mention the fence material, as there can be a very big difference depending upon type -aluminum picket panels can be 4x cost of vinyl coated chain link. What I did when I extended my fence (black aluminum) after the build was to install black aluminum along front and side and then at the back of the yard (can't see easily from pool) and next to woods, installed black chain link. Saved me at least $1500.

Hopefully another DIY will respond who has done this.

Gary

I had a very similar question. See my thread Child Fence in Grass/Soil

First and foremost be sure your DIY will pass city inspection.

I'm still undecided on what we will do. Most likely stick with our decking and bite the bullet on the extra linear feet. The cost winds up being about the same as the concrete footers and the aesthetics are more favorable and will alleviate any lawn care challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I asked the inspector for all the details. He said DIY will work as long as I can show him the UE compliance sticker or whatever from the product.

For mine I can't put a concrete deck in there due to the septic setback requirements. I just had an idea though. I wonder if you can do dirt spikes but reinforce them with quikrete...

- - - Updated - - -

have you gotten a quote from a Fence company?

Thanks. I did call one company but they either do wood fence or rod iron. I'd like the look of rod iron but I'd want to be able to remove the fence as the kids get older.

- - - Updated - - -

Prices are very regional, so hard to compare.

• as grumpiebk said, you need to make sure understand your codes. If once built it doesn't meet them, they could make you take it down. If you build without having them inspect, then it can become a insurance liability issue - it accident, they could decline to cover if fence never passed inspection.
  • I would personally not install a fence without concrete footers, as rainy weather over time could see potential shifts. Did you ask those that do not do concrete if they could? Labor increase would be minimal, as they could use quickset (just pour power in hole and water). So there would be the cost of the quickset.
  • A DIY can be done, which I did consider when I put up my original fence. If you land is fairly level that makes it easier. If there are slopes, especially semi-steep, that is a lot more complicated, and why I ended up biting the bullet and paying for the install.
  • You don't mention the fence material, as there can be a very big difference depending upon type -aluminum picket panels can be 4x cost of vinyl coated chain link. What I did when I extended my fence (black aluminum) after the build was to install black aluminum along front and side and then at the back of the yard (can't see easily from pool) and next to woods, installed black chain link. Saved me at least $1500.

Hopefully another DIY will respond who has done this.

Gary

Great post!

The installers won't do concrete footings. As far as material, they are all the common pool fence with poles (mostly aluminum but one was fiberglass) with a mesh in between the poles (just like the DIY one).

I'm strongly considering DIY. My ground is pretty level but not perfectly flat so I'm not sure how forgiving those panels are of slightly rough terrain. It's not a slope or anything a little rough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.