At a loss on next steps

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
Back around the middle of July, my spider gasket failed, and running the pump/filter overnight would result in a 3-4 in water loss. The only way to stop the water was closing the valves near skimmer and the outflow.

Intex doesn't sell just the gasket, and I have to replace the 6-way valve, which is fine - it's under 50 dollars. However, they are OUT OF STOCK.

They told me the ETA for more was the end of August. Now they are telling me it is the end of October.

My pool has sat untouched since the middle of July, and is a nasty green swamp.

I would close the pool if I could, but with the pump/filter rendered useless, I don't even know how to close it. The past two years we left the pool up, but covered, and the pool was clean.

I don't know what to do now.

Ideas anyone?

I suspect the colder weather shouldn't drop down for another month or so huh? If you could wait until the parts come in, you might be able to start your SLAM before closing. If you leave it and close while green, you can expect a tougher opening and possibly an ammonia issue as well. While waiting for the new parts, have you considered using a submersible pump (if available) to simply keep water and chemicals moving around? There's no filtration, but at least you have some movement and can add some bleach while you wait. Just a thought.

I do have a sump pump, but it's pretty wimpy. At this point, if I start adding bleach, but unable to SLAM, won't it just become a gray, opaque mess that will just "eat up" the bleach I put in there?

I suppose I could use the net and get the leaves and larger debris out.

Intex doesn't sell just the gasket, and I have to replace the 6-way valve, which is fine - it's under 50 dollars. However, they are OUT OF STOCK.

They told me the ETA for more was the end of August. Now they are telling me it is the end of October.

Have you searched the internet for other sources of the part? You can search on the part number for the specific part, from the parts list in the owners manual (which you can also find online).

Back around the middle of July, my spider gasket failed, and running the pump/filter overnight would result in a 3-4 in water loss. The only way to stop the water was closing the valves near skimmer and the outflow.

My pool has sat untouched since the middle of July, and is a nasty green swamp.

I would close the pool if I could, but with the pump/filter rendered useless, I don't even know how to close it. The past two years we left the pool up, but covered, and the pool was clean.

I don't know what to do now.

Ideas anyone?
While I can see that the filter may not be usable because of the multi-valve, but the pump still works, right?

Why not disconnect the filter from the pump, and hook up the pump directly to the pool? This will keep your water circulating and allow you to start a SLAM while you weigh your options.

If you had done this as soon as the filter went down, your pool could have remained clear.

You should have immediately removed the leaves and larger debris regardless of your filter situation. I recommend you do that right away.

Have you searched the internet for other sources of the part? You can search on the part number for the specific part, from the parts list in the owners manual (which you can also find online).

Intex does not sell the gasket separate, nor do they list it in the manual. I figure they expect owners to leave it alone and not go taking it apart (which I've done the last 2 seasons when winterizing the pool).

While I can see that the filter may not be usable because of the multi-valve, but the pump still works, right?

Why not disconnect the filter from the pump, and hook up the pump directly to the pool? This will keep your water circulating and allow you to start a SLAM while you weigh your options.

If you had done this as soon as the filter went down, your pool could have remained clear.

You should have immediately removed the leaves and larger debris regardless of your filter situation. I recommend you do that right away.

That's a great idea. It's not going to remove dead algae though, so I don't figure there is anything I can do about that (can't vacuum either). I'll start fishing the leaves and twigs out asap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.