1st time closer needing some guidance

Oct 8, 2015
Wind Gap, PA
Well I made it through my first season and did pretty well, no major issues but it was tough learning some stuff about my system because it's not a "normal" setup. Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

Anyway, it seems like everyone uses the rubber expansion plugs to seal their returns etc. Anyone use the screw in type with the oring? Reason I ask is because I have two suction lines towards the bottom of my pool that are a pain to get out when I open the pool. I have to put my head in the water to reach them, I feel like the screw in type would be easier to get out with a long screw driver.

This is my plan.
1. Remove the ladders and railings
2. Shock the pool and then add Poly 60 when the chlorine level drops to about half the level of shock. I'll let the pool circulate for a few hours after this.
3. I'm not sure how to blow out all my lines from one pipe so I'm going to disconnect each individual line and blow them out one at a time. I'm not lowering the water level because I have a wall pack with cartridge filters below water level. Plus I have suction lines at the bottom of the pool wall I would have to empty the pool to get to those.
4. After everything is blown out and plugged, reassemble all the pipes.
5. Drain the pump and blow it out. Haven't decided if I'm going to bring it indoors or not, I think I'll just leave it outside.
6. Put the safety cover on. There were two 12 inch long 4x4's in the pool by the steps when I opened the pool. I have no idea why these were in the pool. Any ideas????

Thanks in advance for any help

I am going to order this for closing
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030BEI0...TF8&colid=13Z4WNG9GS0ZQ&coliid=I224V5E6RBOA3V
Im also thinking about ordering this and putting some in at closing due to filling the pool over the summer with well water
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZM8AA...TF8&colid=13Z4WNG9GS0ZQ&coliid=I2LDBZ7JGOU8ND

The more I read the more I'm thinking I should just use the rubber plugs and not the screw in type. Maybe I can find a socket that fits the wing nut and use a 2 foot breaker bar to loosen the wing nut at opening next year.

Im also leaning towards not using any antifreeze in the lines. I would have to let the antifreeze into the pool at opening because of how odd my filtration system is.

Hi I am in the same position and will doing this in a couple of weeks. I don't know how to seal the main drain if that's possible, although the old owners must have done this every Fall.

Do a title search for main drain, there is a ton of info on it. I know read a lot about main drains when I researched closing my pool but I didn't retain it as my main drain has been sealed off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.