Dog run automation

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am always looking for easy ways of automating things to make life a little easier. Currently, my dog run is completely tore up so we could run our conduit for the new pool build and I am going to make some changes. The run is only 5 feet wide, but is 50 feet long. It also houses all of my pool equipment. My plan is to lay concrete with a deco drain up the center to make cleanup time easier. I have an idea to use an irrigation valve set to the sprinkler timer to rinse the concrete every evening and morning. I already do something similar to keep fresh water in the dog bowls, but the bowl is just one small spray head that shoots directly into the bowl, to force any old, dirty, hot water out and replace it with fresh. What I need help with is figuring what type to spray head to use that I can aim down at the concrete rather than shooting up into the air and all over my stucco and block walls because I just want to rinse the urine down the drain, not drench the whole dog run. I was thinking about just stubbing up 3/4" pvc every 5 feet or so and screwing in a 180 degree sprayer like this.

31k2VX-V+AL._SY400_.jpg

I like your imagination and ingenuity Jay. I have 6 dogs and can understand the need to make management easier. I've not used that particular spray head before, but it appears to have a good directional angle to it. Hope it works for you. Maybe later post a pic of your set-up so we can see the "ruff" life your dogs have. :)

I will definitely post pics when it's done, but it might be a while still, it's already been a year since we started our pool.
As for creating a built in drain, that would be cool, but more work than I care to put in. Filling the water bowl and rinsing down the concrete are both easily accomplished with irrigation valves and the sprinkler timer I already have. I could easily wire a second valve to open 1 minute before filling to allow the old water to drain out, but I want to keep it simple, plug I just want to set a bowl down and be able to take it inside to clean it or replace it without having to rig the drain each time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.