SaltWater Pool Closing question

May 17, 2016
Edison, New Jersey
Hello,

We are doing closing first time.
I have saltwater 25k gal pool.
Today, My wife went to Leslie's store and bought the Leslie's deluxe kit for closing.
I am thinking to return it, before that I want to check with you all if the kit is useful or not?

If I return it, what's the process of closing saltwater pool?

No different than a non-salt water pool. Get the lines cleared, chlorine up and add some algaecide and cover it up. Remove anything that can come off and dont lose any of it.

Welcome to TFP and if possible please add your signature. As Griswald mentioned, it is no different than any other in ground swimming pool. Your lines need to be cleared out, the main drain need to be cleared out and an "air lock" is what keeps the water from coming back to the filter. If you need technical assistance in closing your pool, please add your signature and describe your pool in detail. Pictures really help a lot. If you take pictures, then please take picture from all angles and from a top view (if possible).

What exactly will you be using to remove water from the lines? Where are you hooking the blower to? Thanks!

why i cannot upload a picture?

Anyway:

This is what i did so far and i am stuck....

- balance water
- Clean pool
- drain water below skimmer
- removed pump, filter, and heater pips etc

need advice regarding blowing out lines (see the pictures of lines):

I tried using leaf blower but didn't work. I guess the filter is far and my blower is not strong to blow that far.

1. What can I use to blow out lines?
2. How to blow out main lines?
3. Do I need to blow out any water from/through the heater?

Thanks.

1. What can I use to blow out lines? 2. How to blow out main lines? 3. Do I need to blow out any water from/through the heater?

What are you missing here? I only see plumbing with some shut off valves. Did you photo shop the picture? Maybe you can take pictures from different angles with everything there.

But to answer your questions, please see below:

1) A leaf blower will not work. Some people use a pancake compressor or regular compressor (with great success) and hook everything up to the fitting in the pump housing. Some people use a shop vacuum with great success. Personally, I have purchased the Cyclone and we just closed my friends pool (without cover) in less than 5 minutes. You will need to push volume, not pressure through the lines. Set the PSI at low, under 20 on the air compressor.

First time closing pool!!

Post # 7 for the standard air fittings. Good Thread.

2) You have to blow out the main lines (return lines and plug them one at a time). The skimmers will require Gizmo's and the Main Drain is where you can create an "air lock'. The main drain has to bubble at the surface of the water.

3) When you blow air through the system, the water will be pushed out of the heater as well. There will be plugs that you can disconnect at the heater as well. Also, make sure you remove all the fittings at the filter and pump basket.

Again, it is hard to tell without all your equipment in the pictures. Please add your signature so it shows up on all the threads. Lastly, if you are struggling with closing the pool, it may be best to find someone locally as the charge in NJ is really not that much. I have seen $150 as a good rate. Depending on the cover you have, you may even be able to work out a deal with the tech for $100 and you can put your own cover on. I paid the first year and watched and learned. Then I closed my pool the 2nd year and this will be the 3rd year.

- - - Updated - - -

I see that you have a heat pump. You can siphon the water out with a vacuum. Lastly, you did not have to go to the trouble of removing anything outside. All the equipment is designed to stay outdoors. Some people do remove the pump, but not the filter or plumbing. Please advise.

I realized that afterwards. Considering you have everything apart, I see now what you are working with. One shut off valve is for the skimmer and main drain (unless you have no main drain and only 2 skimmers), while the other shut off valve is for the return jets. If this is correct, again what you need to do is to blow air through the system. Somehow you will have to find or make an adapter to push air through the system. Isolate each area. For example, close the main drain and blow air through the skimmer first. Or you could close the main drain and vacuum water first through the skimmer, then blow air out and install a Gizmo. When you blow the main drain, the water will bubble at the surface of the deep end and after 1 minutes, close the valve and shut off the blower. You have just created an "air lock".

Now more on to the returns. Close one set of return and blow air through the system, plug one side of return jets and then close the side that is plugged. Now move on to the other side. Once done, then you are all set and you can cover the pool.

Most people work with an air compressor and hook up the fittings in the previous thread. Then they blow air through the pump basket housing. Please remember that depending on the compressor you are using, you will probably have to do one area at a time. There is no set way to close a pool. Some people use the pump basket, while others use union fittings and some work at the skimmer basket with modified adapters.

You may want to also watch some videos on you tube. While the configurations may be different, the concept is all the same. Push water out of the system and close everything off. Hopefully this helps!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is good information. I will go to local hardware store today and see what blower option is available.
Yesterday, i bought this air compressor w/o the air hose. :) i thought it comes with air hose.
Porter-Cable 6 Gal. 150 PSI Portable Air Compressor-C2002 - The Home Depot.

now, i disconnected all the equipment, I need to buy something else to blow out.

I will let you know tomorrow. what i find.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

:cool:

This is good information. I will go to local hardware store today and see what blower option is available.
Yesterday, i bought this air compressor w/o the air hose. :) i thought it comes with air hose.
Porter-Cable 6 Gal. 150 PSI Portable Air Compressor-C2002 - The Home Depot.

now, i disconnected all the equipment, I need to buy something else to blow out.

I will let you know tomorrow. what i find.
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

:cool:

If you do not mind spending a few extra dollars, I believe the Cyclone is on sale.

Air Supply Cyclone Liner Vac | PoolSupplyUnlimited.com

You will break even on this machine in 2 seasons. If you decide to purchase this hose, come back to me and I will give you the exact hose part # and where I purchased everything. Here is a link that shows the adapters, etc.

Modified Cover for Hayward Super Pump for Closing Swimming Pool

If you decide to use the air compressor, you can easily find adapters at a good plumbing hardware store. If not, try this. Purchase a rubber plug (either size 8 or 10) and close the return side of the pump. Hook the pump back up to the system (one at a time) and then use the air compressor hose, hooked up to the small fitting on the side of the pump as this will work. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks everyone for you help! I bought the Shop vac from HD.
Link to Shop Vac - RIDGID 16 gal. 6.5-Peak HP Wet Dry Vac with Detachable Blower-WD1680 - The Home Depot
did the job. I was able to blow out all line with this vac. I didn't see bubbles in main line but i added pool antifreeze, so hope it will be safe.

I don't like leslies.. they are over prized. I didn't get chance to return but I am sure the policy is what you said.
I will keep it.. some day will use it.

Again, thanks everyone for you help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.