Winterizing pool with fresh water

Kmama2

Sep 17, 2016
Lancaster NY
We got an above ground pool this summer and our installer messed up on our vinyl liner install and had to come out and replace it a few days ago. We just finished re-filling the pool and now I'm left with questions. Now that temps are lower here in buffalo, it seems like a reasonable time to close the pool. The installer told us to fill to just below the skimmer, throw in a bottle of shock and close it up. The store basically said the same thing but recommended a few winter chemicals also. But I called another pool store and they said we absolutely need to fill to top, run the filter and get water balanced (specifically with calcium) before closing. At this point we did decide to fill to the top and get the filter running but aren't sure what to do now. This is our first season with the pool as is, so it's all new to me. Any advice?

We got an above ground pool this summer and our installer messed up on our vinyl liner install and had to come out and replace it a few days ago. We just finished re-filling the pool and now I'm left with questions. Now that temps are lower here in buffalo, it seems like a reasonable time to close the pool. The installer told us to fill to just below the skimmer, throw in a bottle of shock and close it up. The store basically said the same thing but recommended a few winter chemicals also. But I called another pool store and they said we absolutely need to fill to top, run the filter and get water balanced (specifically with calcium) before closing. At this point we did decide to fill to the top and get the filter running but aren't sure what to do now. This is our first season with the pool as is, so it's all new to me. Any advice?

Calcium is no big deal in a liner pool. I edited the post because you have an above ground pool and originally I was viewing everything on a small screen (smart phone). You may just want to add liquid chlorine, mix by hand and then polyquat 60 algaecide (again, mix by hand), then cover the pool and call it a day, especially if there is no water in the lines.

If you have water in the lines, you could actually plug the return line(s) and vacuum the water out from the pump, especially if the run is short. When I close my pool, with the main drain closed and returns closed, I manage to vacuum 2 skimmers with a large wet vac. The distance is long, so you will get away with this method. Assuming you have a sand filter. You can winterize the sand filter by allowing any water to drain and then setting the multi-port between 2 settings. Again, this is based on assumptions.

Please add your signature so we have a better idea of your pool equipment, size of pool, etc. as the recommendations may change. Welcome to TFP!

Thanks everyone. I did put a signature on, not sure why it isn't showing up. I have a cartridge filter so the closing is relatively simple there. The pool is currently full and filter is running. The ph and alkalinity are perfect right from the hose. I added chlorine last night so I think we should be ok. The calcium level is a little low...around 100. There is no stabilizer either but we didn't have any all summer long. We were using a system called simple blue. It was amazing how crystal clear the pool was all season and only required chemicals once per week. It is rather expensive though so I wasn't planning to use it again for this short period of time before closing. So, at this point I have no clue how to treat the pool since everything was so simple before!

Simple Blue sounds to me like "copper based algaecides", but I am taking a wild guess. From now on, you will only be using bleach, borax, baking soda, muriatic acid (maybe) and stabilizer. Everything you need is at WalMart beside the MA (Muriatic Acid) which you will probably not need unless your TA is high and you have a lot of aeration.

Please read through pool school so you can familiarize yourself with the TFP methodology. Thanks!

BTW, you will also need a recommended test kit so you can take care of the pool on your own.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.