Stenner installation with Jandy panel

asquare

Bronze Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
Lake Mary, FL
Still new to TFP but my pool has never been that clean. Thank you!

I will be traveling almost every week for work and I want to implement a liquid chlorine distribution system. I have a variable speed pump and will go with a Stenner pump (fixed speed). I already removed my old 320 chlorinator and will use the tee to feed the liquid chlorine (it felt good! bye bye CYA!). Now the question is how to connect the pump to my Jandy panel. I have 4 Aux already used (Air Blower, Spa Light, Pool Light, Polaris Cleaner) but there is one Aux that I am not using - the one for the Low Speed pump (which I don't need for my pump). I really hope there are some Jandy panel experts out there. Here are my questions:
1) Is it possible to re-purpose the "Low Speed" Aux to be used for the Stenner?
2) My Ecostar pump is 230V - does this mean that I should order the 220V Stenner?

My other option is to buy a separate timer but I really like the idea of the integrated setup because it saves me the purchase and ongoing setup of the separate timer, and I am 100% sure that the Stenner will only work when the pump is working.

Thanks!
Anthony

1) Is it possible to re-purpose the "Low Speed" Aux to be used for the Stenner?

Yes, it should be possible. You have at least 1 Aux available to use. But, you also need to check how many relays you have inside your Power Center. You should already have at least 5 relays: filter pump, blower, cleaner, pool and spa lights. If you find an unused 6th relay, then you can wire your Stenner to that relay. If not, you'll have to buy the relay. Or, you can free up a relay by combining the pool and spa lights into one relay.

2) My Ecostar pump is 230V - does this mean that I should order the 220V Steiner

No, you can still go with 110V Stenner. Wire it to Load1 of the relay and neutral. If you get a 220V Stenner, it needs to be wired to the relay's Load1 and Load2.

Definitely integrate the Stenner with your Jandy panel, instead of installing a separate timer.

And now my disclaimer: get a licensed electrician to do the work. :cool:

Thank you watsowatso! I changed a dip on the panel earlier today and when I restarted it, the panel no longer said "Low Speed" but said "Aux 2" and I see that Aux 2 is not connected to any relay. I only have 5 relays but I would have thought it would have been enough because my cleaner is a polaris so my cleaner should not need a relay (or does it need one for the JVA?). Worst case scenario I will get an extra relay from Jandy - I just looked them up on Amazon and they retail for $19.

I will also get the 220V Stenner as I have the choice. The Jandy manual describes how to connect the 220V pump but I won't take any chance and will follow your disclaimer :goodjob:

Yes, get the relay with harness. Hook-up the harness to Aux2 on your Power Center PCB.

Does your cleaner have a booster pump? If so, a relay is needed to switch power.

Choosing 220V should work. The Jandy manual also shows how connect 110V lighting using GFI. I essentially followed that for my 110V Stenner hook-up.

You may want to reconsider the 220V Stener as Watsowatso said you can simply wire it to L1 and a neutral. With your panel you can make the 220V work but the 110V will will work with any retail electrical switch or timer your panel included unless it does not have a neutral available. Some day you may want that panel relay for some other device and moving the Stenner to an external switch will be much less complicated if its 110V.

I have my 110V Stenners on a WiFi switchs that I can adjust from my phone and love the convenience. It does take a little effort to make sure they are set within the time the pump is running but it is a minor effort and to be honest the only one I am the slightest bit concerned about is the MA mixing wiht the chlorine for that reason they are separated by hours and two different pump run times. If I were running chlorine only I would still make sure I am in the pump run window but it is not as if you will end up wiht a toxic or explosive gas if the return line has a high concentration of chlorine before the pump turns on.

Just food for though, you will not go wrong with the 220v just might limit you down the road. There are 220V switches and timers just a bit more money and effort in some situations.

Thank you for the advice! Good point on the flexibility of the 110V and given the fact that it will not run for long periods of time, the 110V is a good idea. My cleaner does not have a booster pump so the use of the 5th relay is still a mystery. I am going to check the system this morning.

I am all set! The 5th relay was connected to my heater so I ordered a 6th one on Amazon. Here is what I ended up doing:
- I did not want to cut the plug of the Stenner, so I connected an external outlet to the Aux 2 relay on my Jandy panel. I clearly labeled the outlet Aux 2
- I bought the 45MPHP10 and the 15 Gallon container and just plugged the Stenner into the outlet
Thanks a lot to watsowatso and atttech-2 for their advice!

Congrats asquare! You and I now basically have identical Stenner setups. I've been using bleach for my pools since 2005, including using the Liquidator for a couple years. Stenner has been the most rock solid consistent. I should've converted to it long time ago. In peak Houston summer, I use about half gallon 8.25% bleach a day, spreading 75 minutes of injections throughout my filter pump run time.

I purchased a 220 volt Stenner. It is connected to the LOAD side of the relay I use for the Stenner, while the LINE side is connected to the LOAD side of the filter pump relay. This way, the Stenner cannot activate unless the filter pump is ON. I did run conduit from my automation enclosure to a 220 Volt outlet installed on a wall near my Stenner which is plugged into that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.