Can't Get Pump to Prime

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
I blew out my lines today. This was a "dry run" in anticipation of closing next month. I used a Cyclone II blower to force air into the suction and pressure sides of the plumbing. This included blowing air thru the heater. The Cyclone is high volume / low pressure, so I'm fairly certain I didn't rupture anything. Everything went well until I re-connected the pump and tried to get the filter system going again.

The pump doesn't appear to be priming. So I opened the pump lid and filled the basket with water from a garden hose, thinking that the suction side pipes needed to be filled with water. I ran the water for quite a while until it became apparent that the water level in the pool was rising (the equipment pad is higher than the pool). Everything was working fine until I started this operation. I've tried everything I could think of. Any ideas?

Check your skimmers. If you see a vortex in either of them while the pump is trying to prime, your skimmer wier is stuck and not enough water from the pool is entering the skimmer.
It just sucks air. The pump wont prime with teh skimmer wier stuck.

SOLVED!
Thankyou Dave but it turned out to have nothing to do with the skimmers. While perusing similar threads, I came across a posting from one of the experts who suggested the possibility of a "massive air leak" on the suction side. When I looked at the plumbing, I noticed that one of the unions connecting to the pump were 2 turns short of being completely tight. After tightening it the pump primed. And now all is well...except that I feel like an idiot :kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.