Getting my ducks in a row for winterization

Wichita Chief

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Andover KS.
In the past we owned an Intex pool we drained and took down each year. This we went big and bought a used Esther Williams 15 x 30 and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Just bought a used Esther Williams 15x30 Carousel As my year moves from swimming to using my smoker more and winter sadly approaches I'd better get prepared to close it down. I've searched and read numerous threads and see people seem to vary in their approach. Drain below skimmer. Don't drain and use Aquadoor and Gizmo or such. Mesh leaf net or non mesh cover. Polyquat algaecide and bleach or just bleach. I really don't want to undo my skimmer to put a face plate on it. So unless there are options which just go over the existing face I'll drain just below the skimmer. (besides, to replace the face plate I'd have to drain it down. [at least this year]) Since my plumbing is flex spa pvc hose I can remove the line below the skimmer. Do people seal the skimmer cover or plug the hole in cover? I can probably put a plug in the return jet fitting hole. Drain my lines. Drain filter. Remove multiport valve and pump and move to heated garage. It does seem smart to get some sort of leaf cover to avoid having to fish out leaves or if left in gloppy masses of leaves. Or am I better off using a tarp like cover? Do I really need to add the algacide? I can. It seems to read hard for a simpleton like me. Meaning it acts with the bleach and does this or that and lowers my FC level? Or, just get to shock level and check for FC monthly and swish some around if it's way low? Once I get it done once all will be good. Thoughts? Thanks for getting me this far!!

Following because i live very near OP and want to see answers. :)

- - - Updated - - -

For the record based on everything I've read I am planning on not even covering my pool over the winter because I don't have many leaves to create issues... I do have a cover and a pillow but I'm planning to return them for a refund because it seems like just leaving it uncovered is a better option but if anyone has a different opinion always glad to hear

I did read the winterizing pool school. There always seems to good suggestions which come up when people have tailored the routine in a manner which works well for them. It does get cold and can stay that way for a period of time. It seems some years we have unseasonably warm winters which freeze at night and we are in the 30's-40's during the day. But we can have weeks where the high is in the 10's-20's for 4-5 days straight.

BURRRRRRRRRRR So you freeze and freeze hard at times......I will let someone who lives in that kind of area answer what they do to keep things safe. Being in FL I have NO idea what is best from personal experience I am glad to say LOL

:kim:

Well, here is the catch-22. If you decide not to use a skimmer cover, you will have to drain the water below it and the return anyway. While you have it drained down this year, get a cover and install it then. I put one on mine just before the first winter closing I ever had to do on mine. worth every penny I spent to do it.

Here is a shot of it from a couple years ago just prior to me pulling the cover on.

To plug the return, I use a 1.5" PVC thread in plug in place of the return EYE which easily unscrews from the return fitting. I do disconnect the plumbing from both the return and the skimmer in case any water seeps thru.

Since I have a lot of trees around my yard, I use a solid cover with a mesh leaf net on top of it. I keep the mesh on until all leaves are off the trees and then put it away. I weight it down with several bleach bottles that I accumulate throughout the year to keep tension on it and the leaves out of the water. It usually stays pretty clear as any leaves that do accumulate are blown off by the wind

Sorry to be AWOL for a bit. This makes sense. Lower the water level to put a face plate on and with all of the recent rain I probably won't need to add much to get the level back up. I just didn't know if the covers were a good option. I sounds like danpik likes his. I'll check into them further.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.