Saftey Cover Advice

Jun 10, 2016
Chesterfield
First time poster here. Have obtained a wealth of knowledge from this site so far, but have yet to find any real significant (recent) advice on safty covers. Currently interested in one of the new Hybrid Looploc covers with the center drain panel. Just have a few crape mertyls near the pool, but are pretty much non-issue once they lose their leaves. The pool is a 20'x40' with a ~4'x6.5' step that has a raised lip. I am not completely apposed to a mesh cover, but would be nice to have a clean/clear pool when I go to open it. I'll post up a picture of the pool when I have a chance. Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

Justin

7cb0ef4250ea850895d67ba2543295fa.jpg

554534828f4e8d76ec32e85bf79ab633.jpg

82ae94070555e8cde241853445122dc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I also got a quote of approximately $2400 (including install) for a looploc ultra loc 2 a couple of weeks ago. This seems a little steep to me considering I have a rectangle pool. He said labor was about $200. I've got hammer drills and the skills, but not a lot of time. $200 seems reasonable, but not the cost of the cover.

Your quote is very good. Your pricing expectations are unreasonable if you want it much/any less than that. $200 is dirt cheap to install it. Hopefully they are skilled with a hammer drill to not chip your deck beyond where the rings that attach to the anchors end.
Opening to a clean pool and having a mesh cover are not mutually exclusive. Others factors are generally the cause. Having the pool covered anytime the water is above 60 degrees (even if only at the surface) is the primary reason for opening to green pools. The other factor is improper chemistry.
Solid covers are bears to move in the size needed to cover your pool.
There is nothing inherently bad about the hybrid covers, but also certainly not required to open clear. I'm 4 for 4 with a high quality mesh safety cover.

I would agree, that sounds like a really good price. With a mesh cover the rain water is going into the pool constantly. You want to close it around end of October beginning of November when the temperature is below 60. Also the sun rays are getting into the pool because the cover does not prevent the Sun from going through it.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also add a bottle of Polyquat 60 a couple of days before you close it and let that circulate.

Your quote is very good. Your pricing expectations are unreasonable if you want it much/any less than that. $200 is dirt cheap to install it. Hopefully they are skilled with a hammer drill to not chip your deck beyond where the rings that attach to the anchors end.
Opening to a clean pool and having a mesh cover are not mutually exclusive. Others factors are generally the cause. Having the pool covered anytime the water is above 60 degrees (even if only at the surface) is the primary reason for opening to green pools. The other factor is improper chemistry.
Solid covers are bears to move in the size needed to cover your pool.
There is nothing inherently bad about the hybrid covers, but also certainly not required to open clear. I'm 4 for 4 with a high quality mesh safety cover.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. The quote the guy gave me was for a solid cover with drain panels. Do you think a mesh cover would be significantly cheaper? What brand do you have? I like the idea of closing later and opening earlier. Will definitely think about using that strategy.

I would agree, that sounds like a really good price. With a mesh cover the rain water is going into the pool constantly. You want to close it around end of October beginning of November when the temperature is below 60. Also the sun rays are getting into the pool because the cover does not prevent the Sun from going through it.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also add a bottle of Polyquat 60 a couple of days before you close it and let that circulate.

Thanks for the advice! Like I stated above, I'm definitely going to shoot for a later closing and an earlier opening. Will look into sourcing some polyquat 60 to dose the pool with just before closing.

No I don't think a mesh cover would be significantly lower. Your price is already low so the possibility for much of a difference is reduced.
I have a Merlin SmartMesh which is their top product and very similar to the Loop-Loc mesh cover.

I have an Arctic Armor with a center mesh panel. Installed it myself in less than 2 hours.

The mesh panel does let dirt in, but only very fine silt that vacuums up quite easily.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but when I see the mesh covers in the dimensions I want on Amazon for $1300 it makes me question the markup. I realize the guy needs to make a living and he is the one handling the warranty if there is an issue, but that just seems a little over the top. Maybe these guys on the internet are selling them at a loss and will not honor the warranty if I install it. Sorry if I sound like a cheap skate, just new to all this and don't know anyone that is well versed in the covers here. We'll see what the other guy comes in at. The first guy was trying to push the GLI solid covers with a Little Giant pump. It was hard to get straight/concise answers from him while he was giving his spiel and he didn't think the solid with the center drain panel was the way to go.

The Merlin cover looks interesting too. May try to get a quote on one if there is a dealer here. They also have the 15 year pro rated warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
when I see the mesh covers in the dimensions I want on Amazon for $1300 it makes me question the markup

I feel the exact same way. Our quote for a mesh cover and pool closing was $5,788.91. When I saw that number I almost passed out. A quick Google search led me several pool supply companies selling a 16 x 40 cover with all necessary parts for installation for $1100-1300 (obviously doesn't include labor for install). Now, I understand that I also need to cover my 8 x 8 spa and what I need may be a custom order, but I am still scratching my head on the price. I would like to purchase it from my PB so that at least in the beginning they did all of the work and cannot blame someone I hired, but it feels like setting money on fire.

I feel the exact same way. Our quote for a mesh cover and pool closing was $5,788.91. When I saw that number I almost passed out. A quick Google search led me several pool supply companies selling a 16 x 40 cover with all necessary parts for installation for $1100-1300 (obviously doesn't include labor for install). Now, I understand that I also need to cover my 8 x 8 spa and what I need may be a custom order, but I am still scratching my head on the price. I would like to purchase it from my PB so that at least in the beginning they did all of the work and cannot blame someone I hired, but it feels like setting money on fire.

Now I realize things in Massachusetts are going to be more expensive, but that is just ridiculous. That definitely puts things into perspective. It reminds me of a show that my girls watch on the weekend where twin brothers remodel houses for different couples. The prices for some of these houses are just ridiculous, but you also have to factor in that people probably get paid more up north for a given job relative to some places in the south. I guess people have to make a living, but I don't have a six figure salary, so I need to do a lot of things my self. Thanks again for posting your experience.

Justin

Little update. Called another pool company that is near my house and was quoted $1710 not including tax for a Looploc mesh cover. This is for the cover, installation and closing of the pool. They seem like a pretty successful company with multiple locations. Talked to the owner who handles all cover installs. Nice older fella and suggested the mesh over the other styles due to being so much easier to remove and store away. Also dont have to worry about any water pooling on top or a pump. I told him that I wanted to close a little later and open a little earlier to deal with potential Alge growth and circulate some polyquat (like one of the members here suggested) and he said I was on point with that reasoning.

Still waiting on the third quote, but pretty sure I'm going with this guy based on my gut feeling after talking to him. Once I confirm that I want him to do the work, he will come.out and measure and then send me a formal contract. Pay half up front and then half when it's done.

As much as I wanted to just order my own cover and do it myself, this kind of pricing makes it a no brainer for me. Plus, they will handle any warranty issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.