Help on attaching second pump to Easy Touch

daddymack

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2016
Las Vegas
(1) So I have this second pump a Pentair 2VST, that is attached to my EasyTouch 8. But I cannot control it. It looks like they wired directly to the breaker instead of an AUX or other controller.

This pump is solely for my waterfalls and bubblers. I have a electronic valve between the two directions of pipe (one to bubblers, one to waterfalls).

(2) I can get the valve to turn 180 degrees either only bubblers or only waterfalls, but not in between without manually stopping it by turning it off. I have designated the valve to Aux 5, and defined Aux 5 as a spillway, so I thought that would cause it to stop at 90 degrees where both could run at same time. But it doesn't work.

My questions are, (1) since I do not have a spa, can I wire the pump to the Spa controller, so it acts like a spa pump where I can control speed, etc. and (2) if I then designate the valve to the spa, can I control it so that it opens one, the other or both (three positions) as spillway?

Hope that makes sense.

thank you in advance!

Daddy,

Your 2nd pump should not be wired to any relay. It should get 220 volt power direct from your CB panel in the EasyTouch. The EasyTouch can control two VS Intelliflo pumps. You just have to change the address of the 2nd pump. This will allow you to control both pumps via their serial cables. I believe that the default address is 1, and that it has to be changed at the pump, with the serial cable not attached. You really want to be able to control the speed of the 2nd pump so you can dial in the right amount water going to your water features.

As far as I know, Valves will not stop at 90 degrees and 180 degrees. You can only have one or the other.

Jim R.

Daddy,

Your 2nd pump should not be wired to any relay. It should get 220 volt power direct from your CB panel in the EasyTouch. The EasyTouch can control two VS Intelliflo pumps. You just have to change the address of the 2nd pump. This will allow you to control both pumps via their serial cables. I believe that the default address is 1, and that it has to be changed at the pump, with the serial cable not attached. You really want to be able to control the speed of the 2nd pump so you can dial in the right amount water going to your water features.

As far as I know, Valves will not stop at 90 degrees and 180 degrees. You can only have one or the other.

Jim R.

Thanks! I happen to change the pump to address 2 this morning with the cable disconnected.. I haven't reattached the serial cable, because I was running it off the system. I only changed it because I was messing with the setting at the pump to get it to work without the easytouch..lol.. totally random. Anyways I will plug that in when I get back and try it out.

BTW.. that is odd that they don't allow you to have stops at 0 90 and 180... it would seem logical, given you are controlling features.. even for the other valve which is between my in-floor cleaning and returns, it would seem there are times you would want one, the other or both.

I can't even get it to stop at 90 ... that would be half okay..lol.. what is the setting for 90? is that a different valve control unit?

Hmm you would think its an easy fix in the software.

I think the only way to get the 90 degree turn is to install a manual valve. I know that will not give you the desired effect of total automation but at least you can control flow. I guess you could go downstream and find were the pipe splits ( to water fall and bubblers) and install automation valves on each.

I think the only way to get the 90 degree turn is to install a manual valve. I know that will not give you the desired effect of total automation but at least you can control flow. I guess you could go downstream and find were the pipe splits ( to water fall and bubblers) and install automation valves on each.

Yea, that defeats the purpose of automation. I would have to repipe and add a valve... sounds like an email and call to Pentair.

The valve is not "smart", it has no idea where it is.. it just drives from one end to the other. Each end has a micro switch to stop it. You can adjust the micro switch to wherever you want it to stop, but it will always drive from one end to the other.

Once you set the pump to the new address, you have to tell the EasyTouch that there are two pumps and that one is address 1, and the other address 2. It will then treat them as two different pumps and you can control them separately.

Do you have ScreenLogic2? If so, it is pretty clear how to set it up. Let me know if you run into an issue.

Jim R.

The valve is not "smart", it has no idea where it is.. it just drives from one end to the other. Each end has a micro switch to stop it. You can adjust the micro switch to wherever you want it to stop, but it will always drive from one end to the other.

Once you set the pump to the new address, you have to tell the EasyTouch that there are two pumps and that one is address 1, and the other address 2. It will then treat them as two different pumps and you can control them separately.

Do you have ScreenLogic2? If so, it is pretty clear how to set it up. Let me know if you run into an issue.

Jim R.

Will do. Yes, Screen Logic 2. Ha.. I'm a poet...

I saw on there the two pumps, it just didn't see it, now I know why...

How do I get to the micro switches? I was thinking that it would be able to send a signal to the unit to cut power at 90, reengage power to continue to end and micro switch to reverse.

So I can control; pump now.. I designated a feature for different pump speeds... not sure if that is supposed to be that way, but it works..

I have my Aux A set up for one of the valves and Aux 5 for the other..

I synched all my lights.. so they are diff colors depending on the program... or all one color if I choose a specific color... pretty cool in that respect.

Daddy,

I also use Feature circuits to control my pump speeds. I thank that is exactly what they are for..

One of the things that I love about ScreenLogic2, is that it is so easy to change them.. and turn them on or off.

The micro switches are inside the valve actuators. In my case, I have never opened one, but I suspect there are instructions out there somewhere...

Jim R.

Daddy,

I also use Feature circuits to control my pump speeds. I thank that is exactly what they are for..

One of the things that I love about ScreenLogic2, is that it is so easy to change them.. and turn them on or off.

Jim R.
I now just manually turn off the valve switch at the equipment when it reaches halfway for both waterfall and bubblers

And will have to do the same depending on if I want cleaners or returns or both... what a pain, for a supposedly automated system.

I am not sure how they missed such a simple logical scenario.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The actuator's cams are easy to adjust. Remove the handle and unscrew the 4 small screws that secure the actuator lid to the body. There is no need to remove the larger screws that secure the actuator to the valve.

Once the lid is off, there is a large splined looking locknut that clamps down on the cams and holds them in place. Loosen that splined nut and then reposition the cams to the correct orientation for your 90 degree rotation. It will take a little trial and error but you should ultimately achieve the rotation you are after.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I happen to change the pump to address 2 this morning with the cable disconnected.. I haven't reattached the serial cable, because I was running it off the system. I only changed it because I was messing with the setting at the pump to get it to work without the easytouch..lol.. totally random. Anyways I will plug that in when I get back and try it out.

BTW.. that is odd that they don't allow you to have stops at 0 90 and 180... it would seem logical, given you are controlling features.. even for the other valve which is between my in-floor cleaning and returns, it would seem there are times you would want one, the other or both.

I can't even get it to stop at 90 ... that would be half okay..lol.. what is the setting for 90? is that a different valve control unit?

Hmm you would think its an easy fix in the software.

You could achieve this with a little work but it will likely cost you another valve and actuator. If you choose to go this route, I'd be happy to help you along.

Post a picture of the equipment pad so we can see if there may be a workaround.

Here is another shot of the valves.. I still need one on the solar, eventually.. If I use it. So really if I break out the pipes and add another valve, I can only add one, so I would have to choose between the features or the cleaning and returns...

The 90 degree fix may solve my problem ... because I can see a time where I only want waterfalls on (i.e. sitting on the wet deck), but I don't really see a time where I only want the bubblers on, so on the rare occasion I may just have to go do that manually.

Have not seen that fancier actuator - nice, but very steep price, especially since I hear these things don't last for years. I'm told I'll have to be replacing them in a couple of years. I've got a fairly new install - pool completed about 16 months ago. I've got 4 actuators and 2 of them stop at the 90 degree mark - I saw the PB open them and make the change to stop it at 90 vs 180, but I couldn't do it myself without some instructions.

Question for bdavis466 - are you sharing your "ingenuity" on how to make the Easytouch control 5 actuators? I've got 4 already controlled - main Pool and Spa required for basic operation, then I've got one on a bubbler and one on some top sprays. I like to be able to control those separate. I'd like to add one more - The pool has 5 returns + 1 to the spa for normal circulation - the spa has a waterfall into the pool. I know a lot of people love to hear that and let it drown out every day world sounds, but personally sometimes that drives me crazy (and it can be a short drive). I'd like to add a fifth actuator on the standard return to the spa so that I can turn that off automatically for a while.

I'm hoping that the ingenuity will let me control the fifth actuator separately, if not - if it amounts to wiring 2 actuators together for single control, that won't help as I want to retain individual control on each of them.

Thanks for any insight.

Sure, its easy.

This will require an empty relay socket so if you are maxed out, you'll need to consolidate circuits somehow.

You'll need an actuator, a SPDT relay, relay base, some short sections of wire and the red connector with black wires that extends off the relays.

Here is the relay and base:

IDEC Corporation - RH1B-ULDC24V - Blade Vol-Rtg 240/30AC/DC Ctrl-V 24DC Cur-Rtg 10A SPDT Gen Purp E-Mech Relay - Allied Electronics

IDEC Corporation - SH1B-05 - 10A 250V Snap-Mount/Surface Mount Relay; 5-Blade Socket - Allied Electronics

Check out this thread with a really good write up of the installation. Let me know if you have any questions. I did mine slightly different but the end result is basically the same.

Thank you - went out today and took my Easytouch box apart so I could understand how the current actuators and pumps were wired. I learned a lot, but don't understand every piece yet. I will look at these products and look in the thread for your installation. I know I read through it a couple of days back, but didn't understand it just by reading. I've got to have pictures and research. So with these parts, knowing what the inside of my ET looks like and how it is wired will help me see how this fits in.

Brian - do you mind if I ask - you reference "Check out this thread with a really good write up of the installation" -is the the thread you are thinking of: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/62295-Adding-3rd-Valve-Actuator-to-my-EasyTouch-8-System

It's odd but I found it by Googling Easy Touch Wiring looking for pictures - I got to this website http://astrapt.com/wiring/pool-valve-actuator-wiring-diagram.php that had a picture of the parts you told me to buy and below the picture there is a link back to that TFP thread about the wiring.

Thanks again for the parts and information. Hope this didn't hijack the thread - kind of goes along the lines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.