AQR9 vs SWP9. Did I get the wrong one?

Aug 26, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I'm replacing all of the equipment on my system. It currently has the Goldline Aquarite controller running v1.10. Pretty sure it probably has the original T-cell-15, which doesnt work. I ordered the AQR9 kit, with new Aquarite controller and T-cell-9, since my pool is approx 15000 gallons. I figured since the controller is the same spec, the swap should be simple, including using the same mounting position and hardware.

I received my order today, and they sent me the SWP9 kit, with the Swimpure Plus and T-cell-9. From everything I can find online, Swimpure and Aquarite are the same thing. One Hayward, and one holding onto the original Goldline. Do I bother trying to get the AQR, or are these physically and functionally identical. It seems they use the same cell, although the one that came in the kit is labeled T-Cell-9-SWP. Does anyone know if Hayward has officially killed Aquarite, and the Swimpure is the only choice now?

This is what I ordered... Hayward AQR9 Aqua Rite In-Ground Salt Chlorine Generator up to 25,000 Gallons

EDIT: I dont know if it matters, but looking at the box, Hayward has a Canada facility. The package came from Canada, which leads me to believe it's drop-shipped. Not sure if that answers my question about killing off the AQR.

The unit is sold under several names, but they all seem to be the same. I have one of the older Goldline AquaRite units. My son has one identical that is labeled SwimPure. I just replaced my cell and the new one is labeled T-15 SWP.

Just so you know, the T-9 cell is designed to meet the chlorine needs of a pool up to 25,000 gallons, based on it and your pump RUNNING 24 HOURS A DAY. That is the reason we always recommend buying the larger cell size. You can always turn the output control down or shorten the run time. But it is expensive to have very long run times for your pump just because the output of the SWG is limited. Also since you are paying for your chlorine based on the cost and total output of the replacement cell, it is always cheaper to buy the largest size.

Has the control unit failed or could you just replace the cell with a new T-15? Mine is well over 11 years old and still going strong (with one $2.50 inflow resistor repair). I just installed my third cell.

Hayward has redesigned the circuitry of their units, but I don't know if there have been changes in the control box itself. Regardless of the pool size, I would always go with the T-15. My son's pool is 9,500 gallons and he is using the T-15. It allows for shorter pump run times and he currently runs it four hours a day, set a 30%. At that rate, it will last much longer than a smaller one and it only cost a little more.

Hi There, if the board in the AquaRite is still the 1.10 version software the T-9 cell will not work unless the main board is upgraded. You need the 1.50 version software to accept any cell. With the 1.10 you can only use the T-15.

He would still be better off with the T-15 version. And in answer to the original question, I don't think there is any difference between the AQR and SWP versions of their product line.

But to be sure maybe we can get our resident Hayward rep to comment.

Agreed, I was just clarifying for Hayward as they were referring to the old box as if it were going to be used.

Also, the AquaRite and Swimpure are identical other than superficial branding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.