Algaecide Products

Apr 13, 2016
Las Vegas
Hi all,

I've been evaluating algaecide products and am looking at non-metal algaecide and metal algaecide (copper based). For comparisons sake, has anyone used Doheny's Algaecide 60 (non-metalic) vs Doheny's Super Algaecide Plus (copper based)?

Someone mentioned there could be problems from using copper but my pool has looked great all season after the former pool company servicing my pool pretreated my pool and guaranteed my pool to be algae free for the season. So my pool has looked fantastic all season with just that preseason treatment of probably copper but i dont know for sure, and I'm trying to decide on the best algaecide maintenance for my pool. At least until I can employ a purely liquid chlorine maintenance program after dealing with my high CYA.

Let me also clarify I'm using it for preventative/maintenace purposes.

Polyquat-60 is fine to use on a regular basis and should be thought of as insurance - it won't cure an algae problem once one gets started but it can delay the start of an algae bloom long enough for you to be able to deal with it.

As for copper based algaecides, you really want to stay away from those. Copper is an effective algaecide but it is not compatible with a chlorinated swimming pool. Once the concentration of copper gets high enough and the pH rises even to moderate levels, the cupric ion becomes very unstable in water solutions and would much rather scale out as a copper stain (essentially form a copper oxide stain similar to iron oxide rust). Chlorine makes the situation worse because it is a powerful oxidizer and will rapidly speed up the process of copper oxidation. The amount of copper required to act as an effective algaecide is very close to the solubility and stability limit of the copper ion in water and so it is very difficult to maintain balanced pool water and not have the copper stain everything. Finally, there is no way to remove copper for the pool water except through draining and refilling.

If you value your new (2015) plaster job, you'll stay away from copper based algaecides.

Thanks Matt! What I'm learning on TFP is there is no such thing as a TFP :drown:

Polyquat-60 is fine to use on a regular basis and should be thought of as insurance - it won't cure an algae problem once one gets started but it can delay the start of an algae bloom long enough for you to be able to deal with it.

As for copper based algaecides, you really want to stay away from those. Copper is an effective algaecide but it is not compatible with a chlorinated swimming pool. Once the concentration of copper gets high enough and the pH rises even to moderate levels, the cupric ion becomes very unstable in water solutions and would much rather scale out as a copper stain (essentially form a copper oxide stain similar to iron oxide rust). Chlorine makes the situation worse because it is a powerful oxidizer and will rapidly speed up the process of copper oxidation. The amount of copper required to act as an effective algaecide is very close to the solubility and stability limit of the copper ion in water and so it is very difficult to maintain balanced pool water and not have the copper stain everything. Finally, there is no way to remove copper for the pool water except through draining and refilling.

If you value your new (2015) plaster job, you'll stay away from copper based algaecides.

As others will say - A Trouble Free Pool does NOT EQUAL a maintenance free pool. All pools require careful attention to keep them clean and clear BUT, once you get the hang of it and settle into a routine, it gets a lot easier. My pool is very trouble free (knock on wood) and doesn't take much of my time BUT I do have to do a little bit of work on it every day (mostly just testing). Once it's balanced, it's a lot easier to deal with.

It all depends on what you call "trouble". If doing 2 minutes of testing every day and vacuuming once a week or so is "trouble" then you are correct. And that's why there are pool services. Of course they are expensive, don't necessarily leave you with a crystal clear, sanitized pool, but they aren't swimming in it so it doesn't bother them. If you are willing to do that minimum amount of "work" every day - after the pool chemistry is stable - in order to enjoy a crystal clear, sanitized pool without worry that it has been done correctly, then welcome to a Trouble Free Pool!

Don't forget chlorinating your pool every other day :)

It all depends on what you call "trouble". If doing 2 minutes of testing every day and vacuuming once a week or so is "trouble" then you are correct. And that's why there are pool services. Of course they are expensive, don't necessarily leave you with a crystal clear, sanitized pool, but they aren't swimming in it so it doesn't bother them. If you are willing to do that minimum amount of "work" every day - after the pool chemistry is stable - in order to enjoy a crystal clear, sanitized pool without worry that it has been done correctly, then welcome to a Trouble Free Pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.