Pop-up problem

Jun 5, 2009
Hello everyone, new to the world of pools and was wondering if anyone has had problems with the pop-ups, specifically in my pool, only the one at the entrance on the steps pop up? Any suggestions? Thank you, Rigo

Hi and welcome to TFP :wave:

I'm not sure I understand... Sorry, but what is popping up? What kind of pool do you have? It would benefit us all, including you, to put your pool info in your signature by using the User Control Panel at the top left of the screen. You can also add an avatar if you want.

Sorry about that, the pop-ups I am talking about are the heads in my in-floor cleaning sytem with Polaris pop-ups. They are pop-up heads on the steps and the floor of the pool. The only ones that are "popping-up" are the ones at the steps. Don't know why and the system is cleaning well, no problems with the filteration system.
Thanks,

Casey said:
Hi and welcome to TFP :wave:

I'm not sure I understand... Sorry, but what is popping up? What kind of pool do you have? It would benefit us all, including you, to put your pool info in your signature by using the User Control Panel at the top left of the screen. You can also add an avatar if you want.

Thanks for the comment, I have been watching them and only the ones at the steps pop-up, there is a very srtong current from those, the others on the floor and the bench do not pop-up at all. The pool is clean and seems to be working well, the filtration system that is.

Sorry for the delay :oops:

Do you have the insertion/ removal tool for the heads (it's blue and attaches to the vacuum pole)? It could be as simple as grit keeping them from popping up. The other choice is the actuator valve being clogged or the o-rings being bad on the non-step lines.

I'll tell you what I know about these units, but it's been 15 years since I've played with one :(

I think I may have found the problem, the water valve that controls the pop-ups is broken, it is a 5 port valve and the base is crack, one of the gear posts is broke, and the whole mechanism is getting stuck when it turns which I think broke everything else. I just do not know who makes it. I think it is Polaris but not sure.

I'm pretty sure you've got a "Caretaker 99" which was purchased by Polaris, which is now a subsidiary (or part) of Jandy (pfwew - that's a lot of corporate combining :shock: ) Jandy is the company to contact for parts 8)

If you need any more help on this... simply post :-D

Thanks, I actually found the parts at A & A manufacturing. Installed it yesterday and is working like a champ. The caretaker that I looked at, had a regulator on the top of the cap and was not sure if it was the same since mine does not have a regulator. The A & A looks just like mine.

waste said:
I'm pretty sure you've got a "Caretaker 99" which was purchased by Polaris, which is now a subsidiary (or part) of Jandy (pfwew - that's a lot of corporate combining :shock: ) Jandy is the company to contact for parts 8)

If you need any more help on this... simply post :-D
Ted, Don't forget that Jandy is now owned by Zodiac (who seem to be trying to become the Luxottica Group of the pool industry!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rigolga said:
Thanks, I actually found the parts at A & A manufacturing. Installed it yesterday and is working like a champ. The caretaker that I looked at, had a regulator on the top of the cap and was not sure if it was the same since mine does not have a regulator. The A & A looks just like mine.

I know this is a little under a year ago, but this thread fits my problem exactly.

Mine is leaking slightly at 3 of the connections at the base. How do I go about replacing the 5 port actuator? Just cut -> splice -> extend -> install new? Is there a simple fix for small leaks?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt, welcome to TFP!!

You've got the right idea :cool: Depending on your setup, there may be a slightly easier replumb (extend a single vertical line coming into the unit, rather than have to raise all 5 of the lines :wink: )

As a temp fix, you could mix up some waterproof 2 part epoxy, smear it into the cracks and keep the pump off for the set time on the epoxy (~ 12 hours)

If you need further help on this, ask away :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.