Closing with non working pump

Chat

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 3, 2013
My Doughboy pump is about five years old and the timer went on it at the beginning of the year. I was home all summer so I manually turned it on and off while I debated the pros and cons of a VS vs a 2 speed vs a 1 speed pump.

Long story short, I went to start my pump yesterday and it's completely dead. the swim season is done here in NY so I'm thinking of cleaning what I can and closing the pool now and buying a new pump and timer this winter thinking gthey'll be a little cheaper. Terrible idea?

My current pump and timer are integrated, for the price of a new timer to fix myself I can add $100 and have a brand new pump.

Thoughts?

I don't think you'll save much money at all but you never know. I would suggest maybe getting the new pump and using it to help get your pool closed. Then you'll probably open with a nice clean pool in the Spring.

There's some electrical work that needs to be done as well since I'd be going from a twist lock plug to a traditional three prong outlet. Not all that difficult work but I need to get some time to do it.

Basically, the only downside is having to slam it to start the season, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chat:

The first thing I would do is pour some bleach to bring up to shock level, mix by hand and quickly cover the pool from the sun. It is amazing even with a Solar Cover how much less chlorine I am consuming in NJ with this weather. One gallon will last around 7 days of 12.5%. What State are you in?

If there is a sale, you may save 10%-20% off and is this really worth waiting until the spring? Your best bet would be to fix something now as we all know the saying "where did time go". Last thing you want is for the spring to roll around with a green pool and the weather to get hot. Personally, I would fix everything now and close the pool properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.