Pitting corrosion on aluminum coping

Can you post a picture?

Generally speaking, you really don't want aluminum anywhere near a pool and certainly not near an SWG pool. If you do have aluminum, then it should be anodized aluminum. Also, any aluminum near the pool should be tied to a sacrificial anode (magnesium works best for aluminum). This will slow down the corrosion.

Can you post a picture?

Generally speaking, you really don't want aluminum anywhere near a pool and certainly not near an SWG pool. If you do have aluminum, then it should be anodized aluminum. Also, any aluminum near the pool should be tied to a sacrificial anode (magnesium works best for aluminum). This will slow down the corrosion.

I have the same problem, the coping is 20 years old, never had a problem. Changed to Salt Water 3 years ago. Pictures attached of the pitting. It is mostly on the ends of the pool, I suspect that since the solar cover is a little long the sun & heat may have accelerated these areas. The pool company recommended a product called POR. It is a multi-part treatment, solution to clean, seal and recoat the pitted area

I see sacrificial anodes for sale that go in the filter basket. Do these need to be tied to ground? Product info implies that just tie them to the filter basket.

Attachments

• Coping IMG_4931.jpg
    Coping IMG_4931.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Coping IMG_4929.jpg
    Coping IMG_4929.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 88
Those zinc “anodes” in the pool aren’t going to do anything useful for you. Check the bonding on the track to make sure it’s working. I’d follow the suggestion of the pool company to clean and seal the metal as long as the corrosion is just some surface smutting. If the track has been compromised with corrosion going through the metal, then it may need replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.