New build in Atlanta GA

gitpark

Gold Supporter
Aug 9, 2016
GA
Hi everyone.

Thank you for the wealth of information posted on TFP. I've learned so much in the past couple of months. After reading as many TFP posts as I could, I think I'm ready to get my own pool. I chose my PB yesterday and I'll be signing the contract very soon. If things go well, it'll be done by Christmas. Thanks for any feedback.

• Pool Dimensions 24x40
  • Pool Square Footage 741
  • Pool Linear Footage 106
  • Pool Depth 3.5 to 5ft
  • Coping Type: Flagstone
  • Install your choice of our standard 6" waterline tiles.
  • Install Shamu Pad ledges, benches, and steps per plan. Shamu Pads come with an umbrella sleeve and two (2) bubbler fountains.
  • Skimmers 2
  • Pressure Tested Schedule 40 PVC Pipe
  • Main Drains 2
  • Returns 4
  • Textured Concrete Decking 500 Square Feet with PVC Expansion Joints to Match the Concrete
  • 4" CPVC Deck Drain Pipe 50 Linear Feet
  • 8" Area Deck Drain 3
  • Install a 24" high medium stacked rock raised bond beam with a safety grab ledge on the bottom of the raised bond beam.
  • 4,000 PSI pneumatically applied concrete reinforced with a rebar cage tied 12" on center with a three row steel reinforced 12" bond beam.
  • 18" Sheer Waterfall 3
  • Bubblers 2
  • Waterproof the pipe penetrations, light niches, and skimmer equalizer lines. Install fittings to match the interior finish on all of the pipes leading into the swimming pool.
  • Install an exposed aggregate pebble interior finish. Pebble Tec, Pearl Matrix, or Satin Matrix
  • Pentair Easy Touch 4 Function Automation System with Salt System IC60
  • Pentair SUPERFLO Variable Speed 1.5 HP Pump
  • Pentair/Sta-Rite Modular Media 500 Cartridge Filter
  • Pentair Intellibrite 5G Color Changing LED Lights 3
  • Install a bonding grid per your jurisdiction electrical code, bond the pool, wire in all included pool equipment and accessories.
  • Sub Panel/Meter Tap
  • Freeze Protector Circuit
  • Backfill the pool and return the construction area to a rough grade and ready for your final landscaping grade.
  • We will perform standard permitting for the project. Permitting will begin when the start date timeframe is determined, a contract is signed, deposit received, and survey/plat received. The customer will provide us with any required property plats/surveys.
  • The project completion time will be 8-10 weeks and begins on the morning of excavation and ends when the pool is filling with water.

ScreenHunter_05%20Sep.%2016%2008.29_zpssyw3ulqy.jpg

20160916_091437_zpsij3vfo0o.jpg

20160916_091405_zpsovuiawnc.jpg

git,

You might want to replace the Superflo pump with the Intelliflo pump. The Intelliflo can be controlled by the EasyTouch via a serial cable, while the Superflo cannot. Does not make sense to have an automation system if you can't control the pump. Plus, I believe that your waterfalls will work much better with the Intelliflo. You would be able to dial in just the right speed to make them work the way you want.

Good choice on the IC60.

You might want to let your PB know that you want to be able to control your waterfalls and bubblers by automation. One Jandy valve for the Waterfalls and another one for the bubblers.

And finally, I suggest you have Pentair's ScreenLogic 2 installed, so that you have the ability to turn things on/off from your PC or Phone.

Edit.. The EasyTouch comes with built-in "Freeze Protector Circuit" so there is no need to add an additional one.

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP! Great lot you have there to build a pool/backyard experience.

A few thoughts...

Are you planning on a robot for cleaning the pool (highly recommended). Just need to make sure you have an outlet(s) nearish to the pool for this and other needs.

How will you light the pool area? Post lights, low voltage lights, etc. Be sure to include this in the planning phase.

Will you heat the pool? Or will you at least allow for installation of a heat pump, gas heater or solar for future installation?

What direction is north on your build?

Leyland Cypress can/will get huge. Ours are 17 years old. 25' wide and 35-40' tall. And they don't stop. So figure 60'-80' tall over 30 years. They are just plain massive and their shade could affect your solar gain (bad in Spring/Fall, good in Summer for GA) if they were to the immediate West of the pool.

Is water included? Or will it be from your house source?

Is fixing any irrigation/landscape carnage discussed in the contract?

Get all equipment/fixture model numbers clearly documented in contract. Including bubblers, sheer descents, etc. This may drive your PB crazy but it has either saved many homeowners or caused them endless frustration.

Is drainage being well accounted for around the pool area? I ask because I see various slopes on your property and the pool may be cutting off the natural flow of water through your landscape and need redirecting.

Get specifics on coping thickness & edge finish documented. Also make sure they are open to your opinions during coping installation of how to make it "look". We see soooo many comments about coping not being cut/installed like the homeowner thought it would be (because it wasn't documented specifically or stated that "homeowner to approve layout/arrangement of all coping stones". Consider documenting additional specs on concrete surface. Textured concrete is pretty generic wording.

Specify what color pool fittings you want. Your contract says "to match interior finish" which is vaque language and can cause issues.

You probably get the flavor of my comments above. I agree that your spec list is very good. However, if there is ambiguity in any aspect, that is where the issue will likely arise during construction - so your best plan of attack is to document the heck out of the details.

Happy Building!! Very exciting time.

PS - I presume pavers were out budget? They would look awesome continuing form your patio.

Thanks, I'll ask the PB about the Intelliflo. Hopefully it's not a big price difference.

For cleaning I'm going with a robot that I'll purchase. PB said it would be cheaper if I got it on my own. I do have an outlet on my existing patio. I removed the pressure cleaner and booster pump from my estimate.

I'm planning to do the area lights myself. I did my front yard landscape lights and it was pretty easy except when I had to put a pvc conduit under my 4 ft wide walkway for wiring.

Heater is a definite no now and a maybe in the future. The pool equipment will go on the side of my house close to the gas meter. The PB said it would be easy to add later and the gas line run would be minimal.

My house faces West. So, in the pool diagram, the top is East.

Water is not included. It will be from my hose. Water is pretty cheap here, so I'm not expecting a big cost.

Irrigation and landscape is not included but we did talk about it. PB was estimating 5 pallets to re-sod. He said they charge $350 a pallet installed which I thought was very reasonable.

Good suggestion on the model numbers.

Yes, drainage was definitely discussed. They will grade with it in mind. I probably do need to get more details on it.

I'll work on the coping and edge finish. For the concrete, he showed me some sample pictures and said there are many options. I haven't nailed down the details yet.

I haven't thought at all about the color of pool fittings. I'll need to do some research. Any advice would be appreciated.

I originally thought I wanted pavers to match what I already have. Then the PB suggested it would be a good look if there was some contrast and suggested the textured concrete. He showed me pictures and said I could have it any color I want. Also said concrete stays cooler then pavers and it saves me $3000.

The PB came back with some more details.

- The flagstone coping will be 12” +/- wide with a total grout and rock thickness of 2” +/-
- As a courtesy to the owner, we will remove the fence and re-install the fence in the access.
- The bubbler fittings will be model number Custom Molded 25559-000-000
- The sheer waterfalls will be Custom Molded 25577-189-000
- The owner may upgrade the VS Superflo to an Intelliflo for $800 more.

Is it worth it to go with the Intelliflo for $800 more?

I'd first ask the PB, who spec'd the Superflo, how he proposes to control the pump via the EasyTouch. Once he realizes the error he has made, maybe you can talk him down on the amount of the "upgrade".

One more thing. Make sure the pump is installed with good unions like these, http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.com/Pump-Union-for-Pentair-IntelliFlo-Threaded-Union-2-MPT-x-2-Slip_p_25266.html?gclid=CNSklLTTlM8CFU9qfgod2QoEEg , even if you have to buy them yourself and give them to the plumbing guy...

Jim R.

Things have not gone smoothly. My permit was rejected because they needed an updated property survey. 2 weeks and $650 later, I got the survey and resubmitted the permit. A week later it got rejected again. Apparently there's a 50 ft exterior setback in my backyard. That's pretty much my entire backyard. I called the county and they told me all subdivisions have a 50ft setback for houses that are exterior facing. Now my only hope is to pay $250 and apply for a variance to reduce the setback. The next zoning board meeting is January 2017!!! ???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Project completion when pool starts filling with water..... That one is an eye catcher as your mechanicals have not been initialized yet & you are on the hook for final payment... I would politely ask for completion to be marked by system startup...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Permitting is the first phase. I've signed the contract and only paid 5% so far. We haven't started digging or done any other work yet. I originally hoped to be done by Christmas. Now best case scenario we won't even be able start until January 2017.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

I talked to the County zoning department and got a new property survey from a state licensed company so I don't think there's a mistake. I'll upload the survey when photobucket comes back. Their site is having issues right now.

The PB came back with some more details.

- The flagstone coping will be 12” +/- wide with a total grout and rock thickness of 2” +/-
- As a courtesy to the owner, we will remove the fence and re-install the fence in the access.
- The bubbler fittings will be model number Custom Molded 25559-000-000
- The sheer waterfalls will be Custom Molded 25577-189-000
- The owner may upgrade the VS Superflo to an Intelliflo for $800 more.

Is it worth it to go with the Intelliflo for $800 more?

The Intelliflo 2 VST - is well worth having, however, the price is a lot for an upgrade... I paid just over 900 for each of mine with 3 year warranty... you can get them all over the internet for that... so how much are they giving you for the superflo?

They originally wanted $800 for the upgrade from Superflo to Intelliflo. I talked them down to just $400 for the upgrade after showing them some online price differences between the 2 pumps. I thought $400 was fair since they have to have their margins. Online I found the price difference was around $200.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.