Vinyl Liner over custom built steps

All liners fade over time. Hard to tell. My liner is going on to 3 years and it looks pretty good. No fading from what I can tell. If you take care of a pool properly, the liner will last you longer.

Personally, I would skip the liner over the steps as there will be a lot of traffic on the steps. Regarding steps over a liners longevity being cut in half, I do not believe this makes sense.

I considered adding wedding cake steps to my inground liner (new last year) but it would have been WAY more expensive. I've also read posts where folks that had
the option to add them did and later regretted it.

I prefer liner over steps.. Gives the pool a "seemless" look.
Step material should be textured for traction..

As for fading everything fades- it's actually low PH that will fade a liner quickly, material is actually colorfast to 10ppm FC..

I started with liner over stair treatments & have installed many retrofit liner staircases..

Most contractors I know who "dismiss" liner over stair seem to have started on pools with plastic steps.

We did liner steps (corner stairs built into the pool, steel & concrete filled). Liner is one piece with the steps welded in as part of it, and I noticed there is plastic bead or piping on the back side to hold the inside corners between tread and riser in place. Also, the vinyl on the steps has a texture stamped into it.

Still brand new, and we're happy so far.

Liners fade primarily from UV exposure. Submersing the liner (even just a few inches) stops the UV exposure and stops fading.

My liner covers the steps, is 11 years old now, and there is little to no fading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
wow yes those liner over steps do look like a million bucks! love the gray liner!

I misunderstood the original post. I would definitely do liner over steps if I had the option.
It makes a vinyl inground look more like a plaster pool in my opinion.

wow yes those liner over steps do look like a million bucks! love the gray liner!

I misunderstood the original post. I would definitely do liner over steps if I had the option.
It makes a vinyl inground look more like a plaster pool in my opinion.

If you are talking about my picture up above, the liner is black granite. Everyone expects it to be darker since it is black but this is what it looks like.

4201145013d479958e643ac19fd1a36f.jpg

Black Granite in full sun... Low profile extrusion on steel wall, bullnose bluestone coping coming soon... & stamped decking in spring...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a liner over steps as well. Had the steps added when we did our renovation. The PB poured three new concrete steps, it was expensive, about $2k, but worth it. I couldn't imagine having to use a ladder in the shallow end.

The liner has some special traction stuff on the steps. I'm not sure if it'll wear quicker there, what I did notice is the foam under the liner compressed quickly. But that was expected.

We have a liner over steps as well. Had the steps added when we did our renovation. The PB poured three new concrete steps, it was expensive, about $2k, but worth it. I couldn't imagine having to use a ladder in the shallow end.

The liner has some special traction stuff on the steps. I'm not sure if it'll wear quicker there, what I did notice is the foam under the liner compressed quickly. But that was expected.

The alternative is not a ladder in the shallow end, it is usually just white plastic stairs, which do not look as nice IMO.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.