Just got my test kit. Help me battle the algae.

Aug 27, 2016
Duncanville, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been battling algae. I finally got it all cleared up. I had to rely on Leslie's test in the store and my test strip because I didn't have the test kit yet. Clear water, I tried to keep chlorine high until I got the kit. Now I got the kit and I can't believe my levels.

FC 12
CC 1
Alk 100
Ph 7.4
CYA 100+
CH 450

I'm upset and confused because recent tests from Leslie's showed my CYA at 40 and my CH at 250. So now what do I do? My water is clear but I assume the algae is going to come back.

Please help.
I used Taylor K-2006

- - - Updated - - -

Btw- I haven't used trichlor or dichlor since Early August and I have drained my pool 6" about 3 times since then plus we have had quite a bit of rain.

Welcome to TFP! Please do a diluted CYA test. Take 50% tap water and 50% pool water. If your CYA is that high, you may just need to drain/fill before starting the SLAM. Here at TFP, we rely on our own testing, not the pool store. BTW, did you purchase a speed stir?

Because your CC is 1, you will need to SLAM. It is entirely up to you if you want to SLAM with high CYA levels. Draining is highly recommended. Please post CYA results with diluted test.

Update - still SLAMMING and I'm not quite understanding why. It's been 6 or 7 days. Tuesday and Wednesday my FAC was at a 27.5 and I put enough bleach in to raise it to 32 both evenings. This morning it's back at a 27.5. My CC I think is at a 0.5 because when I use the kit I add one drop of the chemical (can't remember what the name is) and based on instructions that is a 0.5 for CC. Pump is running 24 hours. When I get home today I'll check for algae. The water is clear and has been clear. But specks of algae continue to pop up on the walls and floor of the vinyl.

The diluted CYA test is not as accurate as an undiluted one. So your CYA could be considerably higher than 100. But even if it is only 100, the minimum FC level for a SLAM would be 40 ppm. You've dropped all the way down to 27.5 and only raised it back up to 32. You need to stay over 40 for the SLAM to be effective.

But specks of algae continue to pop up on the walls and floor of the vinyl.

Probability is that the specks of algae are due to a circulation problem. You have quite a large pool and a lot of times I have seen a skimmer and return line near each other, when it should be on the other side. Is this the case with the pool? Do you have a main drain, or just a skimmer and return and where are they located? Also, how long have you owned this pool and is this your first time with this type of problem? Just curious at this point considering you should be nearly done with the SLAM and not having any more algae problems, especially specks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did a normal CYA test a few days ago and it was at 80.

The return line and skimmer are on the same side. Probably 4 feet away from each other. I don't have a main drain or I don't know where it would be. Moved into the home in June. My levels were fine until after 4th of July and that's when all my problems began. I have know idea when the sand was changed in the filter if ever. The pool is about 6 years old.

Would DE help with circulation problems?

I do not believe the sand is the filter is your problem (but you could do a deep cleaning of the sand filter).

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Personally, I use skimmer socks to stall any maintenance activities, like cleaning the sand filter or even backwashing (which I have not done in 5 months). I do not know if DE would help as this would only filter better. I doubt algae is getting to the filter and coming back out.

This could clearly be a circulation issue. Measure the treads on the return eyeball and see if these will fit. I have 4 of these and they really help circulate the water, but my pool is IG. Please provide me length of treads and I will tell you if they could possibly fit.

ROTATING HEADS FOR A SWIMMING POOL

Amazon.com : The Circulator - Automatic 360 Rotating Swimming Pool Cleaner Return Jet with deep heating and chemical infusion : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

The Circulator Rotating Water Jets for Swimming Pools - YouTube

Infusion V-fitting for Inlet and Return Line, Venturi, White - Home And Garden Products - Amazon.com

These fit standard return jets. I know even one of these will definitely make a difference.

Just one note here, I would not invest too much time in trying to SLAM this pool right now, since the weather will be turning much cooler in the next few weeks in the DFW area. When water temperatures drop below 60 degrees algae growth drops off to a snails pace. Over the winter you can work on getting your CYA levels down and then open with a good SLAM in the spring and hopefully get off on the right foot for next season.

Ike

p.s. I assume you probably don't formally close the pool where you live, you just let it go dormant for the winter with occasional chlorine additions.

I SLAMMED up to 35 last night. Don't know what my chlorine level is now because I ran out of reagent!

As far as closing the pool I was curious as to what folks do in DFW. The previous owners left a cover and pillow so I guess I'll use that around November? We are surround by trees so I need the cover. I really just want a leaf cover but after all the money I have spent this summer that will have to go on the 2017 list.

I'll have to add the return jet to next year's list also.

So far no specks of algae present although I still need to get behind the ladder. Thanks for the help.

I SLAMMED up to 35 last night. Don't know what my chlorine level is now because I ran out of reagent!

As far as closing the pool I was curious as to what folks do in DFW. The previous owners left a cover and pillow so I guess I'll use that around November? We are surround by trees so I need the cover. I really just want a leaf cover but after all the money I have spent this summer that will have to go on the 2017 list.

I'll have to add the return jet to next year's list also.

So far no specks of algae present although I still need to get behind the ladder. Thanks for the help.

Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.