Covered vs. uncovered re: sanitation and cya

jkrupp

Aug 26, 2016
Roseville, CA
Hi, I have a covered hot tub on my patio. I read the "chlorine and hot tubs" article and it recommended a specific cya level before going to the liquid bleach method. I had thought that cya protected the chlorine from the sunlight though, so is the required cya level different for covered hot tubs? On another note, I just received my Taylor 2005 kit in the mail, are there any suggestions on how to color match for chlorine?? All the pinks look too similar to me!

That is why we recommend the K-2006 test kit, because it also has the FAS/DPD chlorine test that can measure FC up to 50ppm and it changes from pink to clear. Can't miss it. You can order the FAS/DPD test by itself from TFTestkits.net.

CYA level for hot tubs is recommended at 30 ppm. CYA protects FC from sunlight and also greatly buffers chlorine harshness. Always follow the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] when setting chlorine level.

I would drain your spa and start over following this process, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?. I've been doing this for quite a few years and it works great.

Okay pooldv, I will probably drain this weekend, thank you. It's been almost 3 mo anyway so we are about due for a water change. The kit was given to me as a birthday gift this past week (I've been looking at it for a while, haha), are you referring to the "individual" FAS/DPD test at $26? Is it really much easier to color match for chlorine? Chlorine in a spa should be between 2 and 3 ppm, correct? Yesterday it LOOKED like it was at 2 ppm, and that was after about 3 days without adding anything and no use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.