Tear in vinyl liner

mtheaded

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 10, 2007
Lovettsville, VA
Hi, All!

I have an inground vinyl lined pool with a very old liner that needs replacing. However:

1. I can'r really afford it right now
2. I haven't been able to find anyone in my area that does this work despite searching like crazy.

My problem is the tear in the liner on the side of the pool pictuired below. If I can repair this I can probably get through one last season with this liner. My question is this:

Do you think I can successfully repair a tear that is this big? (6 3/4 inches acroiss, 9 inches down) If so, any advice about doing so?)

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Attachments

• Liner_Tear.jpg
    Liner_Tear.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 391
Please take a look at this thread :)

With a tear like that, try to smooth it back together as best you can before applying the patches (I'd definitely do front and back for something that big) Make your patch oval (no square corners), cut the patch 2" larger than the rip and apply 2 patches to the inside and the outside - make the second patches ~3" larger all around than the first!

If you can get the patches on correctly, you could well get more than just this season out of them 8)

Thanks, Waste!

I had seen the previous post prior to posting my question, but wasn't sure if it was applicable given the size of the tear. Since the tear is above the water line I shouldn't have too much trouble getting both a back and front patch on.

Seems like the Boxer 4 oz. repair kit (500 sq. inches vinyl included) should do the trick. The only thing I haven't been able to determine is if the actual width of the included vinyl in the kit to make sure it's big enough to cover the tear. You wouldn't know by any chance, would you?

Looks like we might get to use our pool this season after all! Seems like a shame to keep the water clean (BBB method of course) and not use it.

mtheaded said:
Thanks, Waste!

I had seen the previous post prior to posting my question, but wasn't sure if it was applicable given the size of the tear. Since the tear is above the water line I shouldn't have too much trouble getting both a back and front patch on.

Seems like the Boxer 4 oz. repair kit (500 sq. inches vinyl included) should do the trick. The only thing I haven't been able to determine is if the actual width of the included vinyl in the kit to make sure it's big enough to cover the tear. You wouldn't know by any chance, would you?

Looks like we might get to use our pool this season after all! Seems like a shame to keep the water clean (BBB method of course) and not use it.

Just called boxer to check on the size of the patch...thought id put this out there: the guys said its 4 patches at about 21"x 5 7/8"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.