New pool (9 months), new Taylor test kit, I also think I have algae!!

az_fam

Nov 11, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Hello all!

We finished building our pool back in December. All was well and good, testing once a week with the pool builder given test kit. I would add a bit of muriatic acid once a week and 3 tabs once a week. Well summer hit and things got real. We live in AZ, so pool started getting used in April and we are still using it now. Numbers went all out of whack, because I did not increase the frequency of adding chlorine pucks and I tend to have high ph issues with the pool, so boom, I got algae! Went to Leslie's (big mistake and $100 later) and after testing my water, I got the Ph lowering stuff and they had me shock my pool three times in a row. Well, since then, I have just been struggling to keep it properly maintained and have gotten algae AGAIN. After this, I made myself sit down, read through as much pool school as I could handle, I purchased the Taylor K-2006 kit and 10 bottles of bleach, as well as, convinced myself that I am going the TFP way, no matter! Sooooooo.....with all of that said, here are my numbers from this morning...

FC = 4.3 (now when it says to add that powder, you are using that itty bitty tiny little scoop, right? Also, I did it once with the 25 ml sample and got 4.2 then did again with the 10 ml sample and got 4.5, so that's why I said 4.3)

CC = .5 (does this sound right??)

Ph = 7.6

TA = 90 ppm

CH = 300 ppm

CYA = 100-150 (os so it didn't reach the 100 line the first time, so I was thinking that'd be about 105. Then I dumped that out and added the leftover back to the little tube and that time showed like way below 100, I would guess about 125 or so. Not really sure if you have to swirl for 30 sec and any more changes that, which would mean I can't retest with the leftovers in that little squeeze bottle).

So, based on those numbers and the fact I still have little green fuzzies here and there, I am not sure what to do bc besides the CYA, is everything else in decent shape? Does it need to be SLAM'ed?

Also, to start adding my bleach instead of pucks, how much bleach do I start with? I want to say I was reading a chart on here but it was for vinyl or fiberglass pools and I have an in ground gunnite pool. My info should be in my signature, but if not, our pool is 14.6k gal and not SW. We have an inline chlorinator, ozonator, pebble sheen and a waterfall feature that only gets turn on when we are in it.

TIA so much for your help. I want to get this figured out so I can be less frustrated and enjoy my pool more!! It's been very steep learning curve for this girl whose never owned a pool before!!!!

Sounds like a SLAM is in order! But first you should drain about half your water, your CYA is too high (from the pucks/inline chlorinator).

For the CYA test you can pour the water back in the squirt bottle and do it again. I do it 2-3 times and average.

I hear you can rent them from Lowes/HD, the last time I needed one I just went to Harbor Freight and bought one. Figured I'd use it again at some point.

Another option is if you live on a hill you can use the vacuum hose to siphon the water out. Would have to be a pretty steep hill to get much water out, but it's worth mentioning.

Good point, I think I will look at Harbor Freight, they are always the most reasonably priced...It may not last forever, but hopefully for awhile.

I live in Phoenix, so unfortunately, there are not very many hills around, but that's a great idea!

Mr. Bruce has you on the right track. THANKS!

Good job knowing what test kit to order!

With the CYA test I just GLANCE in the tube. If you stare you will end up seeing the dot LOL. Glance and look away. Do like Mr. Bruce said and pour it back and forth and average the three.

:kim:

I ordered the test kit based on TFP recommendation after using the PB stuff for a good 9 months.

Good to know about the CYA, I definitely can see how if you stare long enough you'll see the dot! Must mean my CYA is really at 125-150! Hence the pool drain....

Looking into pumps this weekend. Will probably just pick one up at Harbor Freights since it's about as much as a rental!

Hi MarianParoo,

I did do the CYA test based on the Taylor K-2006 test kit. Unfortunately, anything over 100 for that test, it doesn't give you an indication with markings. I also did use the calculator and based on the results, I have to drain bout 60% of the pool. That is the hardest part, how do I know what 60% is with all of the different depths due to baja step and whatnot?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So we started emptying out the pool yesterday around 3 pm. 26 hours later and we are about halfway there!!! YIKES! This is taking forever. We bought a 1 hp pump from Harbor Freight. It said it pumps 2900 gal/hr. Of course, I figured that would be at optimal conditions, so the fastest would be 5 hours with our 14-15k gal pool. At this rate, it'll take 48 hours to empty, which is 9x slower than the box says. I was hoping for 10 hours, but man this is crazy. We will return the pump and next time we have to drain it, probably rent something with way more power....Wishing I had that in ground floor cleaning about now, so that we didn't have to deal with this stupid pump (although 3k wasn't worth it to us). Anyways, just wanted to keep everyone updated on that.

As for the CYA, I did the way Marian Paroo recommended with the dilution. When I did it that way, the first time I got 140 and the second two times I got 200. So, looks like our CYA is pretty high its good we are emptying the pool. I am going to the calculator right now to see if we need to do a complete drain or if 75% or so is sufficient. Want to get this pool refilled ASAP since its 100+ degrees out right now. Don't want the pebble sheen to get ruined...

Well I just checked the math and yep, 75% drain to get that CYA down. Do you think we should drain all bc of a slight algae problem or is 75% enough??

Being the worry wort I am I will NEVER tell someone to empty their pool unless they are going to redo the plaster. Don't want to take the chance of any harm coming to the shell-lifting, plaster, etc. Go for the 75% and call it good.

That is sad the pump is SO slow! OUCH! I guess you could set up a sprinkler to help keep the sides wet while you are doing this.

Thanks, Kimkats! We finally finished draining it today and it's already filled up halfway. Should be done in the morning. We have pebble sheen (from gunnite, no vinyl/plaster/fiberglass) so we were good about spraying it down every hour or two. Glad we are just about done with the process. I would definitely rent something next time with more power. 3 days for a drain as insane!!

Do you think we should drain all bc of a slight algae problem or is 75% enough??
The drain process is to reduce your CYA and has no affect on the algae in your pool.

You will kill the algae with chlorine after your pool is filled and your CYA more manageable.

The drain process is to reduce your CYA and has no affect on the algae in your pool.

You will kill the algae with chlorine after your pool is filled and your CYA more manageable.

I did not know this. I figured if the pool was empty and we brushed it down with diluted bleach water, we would kill any algae. Guess I was wrong. Now the algae we have/had is very mild. The pool is now refilled and looks great. I guess I can post a pic?

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE!!

The pool is now refilled (SO glad that is all over) and here are the numbers from our tap water:

FC 2.2 (I added some bleach last night when it was halfway done filling)
CC .4
pH 7.8
TA 110
CH Didn't test
CYA 0

Soo.....I put my numbers is the pool math calculator and I will be adding 70 oz bleach and 33 oz muriatic acid (14.5% where do you buy the stronger stuff??)

Nw that my CYA is ZERO, do I need to add a few pool tabs to get it up a bit? Any other suggestions? I know it isn't supposed to be at zero, but not sure exactly what to do to get it to 30....

TIA

Use Pool Math to see how much of the CYA powder you will need to get it to 30. I would buy CYA in the powder form just to get it in now. The tablets will take a while to get it where it needs to be to protect your FC from the sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.