Well Water=Brown Water. Test Results!

I just tested the FC and it is 18 and the CC is 1. I have an automatic chlorinator so I guess that's the reason for the FC being the same. The clarity/color looks the same as it did Saturday when we got home. I just feel like I need to be putting bleach in there, or doing something to it. I won't be home today to keep a check on it but will see how it is when I get get home at ~4:00. Anything else I need to be doing?

-Adam<-----Anxious

I'm gonna do the overnight fc loss test tonight (per frustratedmom's rec.) so I'll turn it off when I get off work at 4:00, that soon enough? Since the cc is 1 I need to be shocking regardless........even if the fc is staying above shock level? Shock everyday regardless of shock level, if cc is 1? Thanks for the replies.

frustratedpoolmom said:

Sorry for all the questions. I just wanna make sure I'm doing this right....... :goodjob:

So I need to be shocking it everyday since the cc is 1 even though the fc is above shock level? I just don't want to be putting too much chlorine in the pool. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got home and turned off the chlorinator and checked the fc, it was 14, this was at about 4:00. The water was low so I filled it up but forgot to turn it off :grrrr: . I had to backwash till it got back down to the right level. I noticed the water looked a lot greener. I checked the fc and now it's 16.5, I checked the cya and it's at 50 now, is that because of the water replacement?? Now my shock level is at 20 so I'm gonna put some more bleach in to get it up to that. :hammer: I guess I'll wait till tomorrow to do the overnight fc loss now. :cry: I can't believe how much greener it got in just a few hours. Did I really screw up here?

frustratedpoolmom said:
CYA level doesn't go up with water replacement, it goes down.

Go ahead and raise it up to shock level. Could this be iron in the fresh water causing the water to look worse....

Oh, well maybe it was the trichlor that did it. I checked the fc just now and it was 16 and cc 0.5 and the cya 40. I'm just not sure if doing the cya test right. Would my cya went down 10 overnight? I put a gallon of bleach in to bring it up to 18 just in case my cya is a little higher than I think.

The water is the same as last night, with definitely a green tint to it and less clarity . I don't think there is iron in the fresh water because there wasn't any after the initial fill up but there definitely could be dirt/sediment coming from the well. That's what started all of this mess. I'm gonna leave my chlorinator off today for fear of my cya going up again, that ok? I will test when I get home from work today.....

The CYA test is very subjective, make sure you are doing the test in the same location every time, and not in direct sunlight. Indoors is probably best, provided its brightly lit.

Have you seen this link:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44

It may help you determine if you are doing it correctly.

Yes, I'd keep the chlorinator off and just use bleach/liquid chlorine.

Checking it tonight is fine.

I have to go to the pool store to get a new bag for my Polaris 360 so I'll get the water checked and compare to my results this afternoon.

I just feel like I'm getting nowhere defeating this algae :grrrr: Supposed to have a big pool party on the 4th :party: ....... Can't blame anybody but myself though :hammer:

At lunch, ~12:00, I stopped and got a water sample for me and one for the pool store. After work I went by the pool store and got the bag for my 360 and let them check my water. Here is what they spit out:

Fc - 8.8
Cc - 0.0
pH - 7.3
Ch - 100
Ta - 50
Cya - 10

I came home and tested my sample I had collected at lunch and here is what I got:

Fc - 11
Cya - 30

Here is a pic of my cya test with it at the 30ml mark:

30.jpg

and I went ahead and filled it all the way to the top here so I could see what 10ml looks like:

10.jpg

I went ahead and tested my current Fc and it was 10.5. I have the chlorinator off and it's been sunny all day. My Fc should have went down more than 0.5 in almost 5 hours shouldn't it?? I don't see how I'm doing these tests wrong. I'm swirling after every single drop. I have read and re-read the instructions to make sure I'm doing them right.

Their numbers kinda make sense because I'm not seeing any difference in the water. If the Cya and Fc is that low then I'm nowhere close to the shock levels I thought I was achieving every day. Now I'm not even sure how much bleach to put in because of the discrepancies. Advice...... Thanks.......

You can't take a water sample and let it sit for 5 hours and then assume the Chlorine level is accurate. I'd say to disregard the 11FC reading you took on the sample that was sitting for 5 hours.

Your CYA is 30 - I can't see the dot.

So raise your FC back up to shock after sunset (12 for a cya of 30) and wait 30 minutes, and test to confirm you reached your target. Then test first thing in the morning before the sun hits the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.