Anyone Have a Winter Pool Dome - Ameridome or Others?

So, its 20 degrees on this fine Michigan morning.
The dome air temp says 44 degrees with the water at 95...quite an impressive gain from the air warmer ;)
The season of chilly disrobing has begun!
But since I did it in 20 degrees to do the hot tub first, the 44 degrees should be a piece of cake...

Not sure my Mandevilles will last much longer in the dome though if these temps continue!

Wow. Lots of fog when the 95 degree open water met the 44 degree air! Dome air temp went up 12 degrees in about 40 min ;)

image.jpg

So 55F temperature differential between water and air .... don’t remove the cover :shock: you could generate you’re own personal cloud inside the dome :angel:

Checking in. So far so good. Still waiting for the first real gas bill to post. :drown:
The dome survived a 16U soccer team party. (no soccer balls allowed in dome) Inside temp with pool solar covered and heated to 88 degrees runs 15-20 degrees above outside temps (30's-50's) right now. Since we have a seating area we added a portable infrared fireplace stove that helps give us the additional 5 degrees. It is cool to the touch, safe for kids & pets, and placed out of the splash zone.
Swampwoman have you established that the most cost effective way to heat the pool is by heating it in 12hr cycles? I am questioning my husband on this. He wants to keep the heater on 24/7 and just turn it down in cycles. Anyone else have an opinion/advice on this?

Hi kitana, sorry I missed your post earlier.

In my case, this seems to be cheapest/most predictable method, but your conditions may vary as you're a good bit further south than me. I used to thermostat before the dome, uncovered, and at the time I felt it was just the same as tinkering, but I'm not so sure now. Its hard to tell because the cover also makes a big difference.

What I've settled on so far is as follows:

Right now, night temps have been in the 20s and day temps hovering around 30 mark.

To get back up to 95 degrees for physio by 7:30, I needed to run heater from midnight to compensate for days prior loss. Before this week, i had it scheduled fir 1:30 am, but it wasnt quite getting to temp as the temps dropped further. I achieved the desired heat in that time...but leave heat running til about 9 am because its nice to have the jets have warmer water while I'm In when the temps are lower.

Inside the dome right now, the air is about 52 degrees, but it was closer to 40 when I got up in the dark ;)

My timer shuts down the heat and my schedule slows the pump rpm at 9 am. In 3 hrs I've lost about .9 degrees, but if I feel like a swim later, I'll just manually override the time on my remote and start heating because 92-94 is still okay for a regular swim. If I'm having people over for a night swim, I'll run it up a bit more beforehand.

I guess if you were Thermostatting to a particular temp, you might end up using the same amount of energy, but then you're also having to leave the pump at higher rpms. I could maybe try this for a day and compare energy use roughly to see.

The speed of heat depends on the btu of your heater, the gallonage and the air temp differential.

In my case, I do lose some extra heat when heating because I divert the water from one of my 3 returns and run it through the air warmer unit you can buy with the package. In my climate, attempting to keep the in-dome air above freezing is important or the zippers freeze and its hard to get out. That happened once or twice to me on sub-zero days ;)

But the effect of running the warm water through the coil s the equivalent of a chiller, so that reduces my heating capacity and retention.

Enjoy and et me know what you find from any experiments. I might see what happens tomorrow if I thermostat.

Reverse Snow Globe

Light snow in Northern Va. outside air 28 degrees.
Water temp is currently 86 degrees, dome air is reading 51 but feels 71 with the humidity at 68.
Thanks for the info Swampwoman. We will continue with running it full time but turned down overnight. It seems to take about 6hrs to get it back to the temp we like 88-90.

All neighbors I spoke with love it and said it was not a problem. No HOA issues so far. ;) My husband being the joker he is came back from the mailbox holding a letter from the HOA in his hand saying to me "look what we just got!" It was a letter looking for new board members...what I got was a minor cardiac event. :pale:
So far we've had an after season U16 soccer party for my son's team. About 10 kids showed up along with some parents. Everyone is very surprised when they go in since it looks much smaller from the outside. More parties planned soon. Nothing wild though, we do try to respect our neighbors.

As a previous HOA President in a small community I would urge you to consider the request for being on the board seriously. I can’t tell you how frustrating it is to have homeowners who complain like crazy whenever the Board acts within its fiduciary and legal responsibilities and yet the very same people have any number of excuses for not serving. To this day I can’t figure out why anyone would put their signature on a legally binding document (the CC&Rs) and choose to live in an HOA and then feel offended by having to live by said agreed terms :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Anyway, enough of my ranting, sounds like the Dome is a great success so far!!

Totally agree but we are serving on the school PTSA board that needs a lot of support. It has been only resently the HOA here has been cracking down on some things many of us feel are minor issues. We have had 3 neighbors come to us for petition signing on new garage doors. Apparently this is a hot issue in our community. /:) They probably don't know how to feel about a dome yet. Maybe I should have them over for some wine and hot tub time. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HOA Boards develop a "personality" based on those that serve. Since your typical HOA board member is likely to be an outgoing type-A personality, you can expect boards to develop that "culture". The previous president of our board was someone who had a totally lax and "live & let live" outlook on life and so he ran the board very loose with almost no application of the rules. Unfortunately that lax attitude can create just as many problems as someone being hyperactive with the rules.

Perhaps he was so lax because he had several CC&R violations on his own property :scratch:

Well, if you want to protect your Dome-owning, winter-pooling lifestyle, then your only choice is to serve and stand up for the rights of winter pool dome owners everywhere in your neighborhood :salut:

If you do have that wild & crazy pool party, don't forget to post pictures....the more embarrassing the better....

Good morning, Kitana. I forgot to try the thermostat experiment yesterday and since temps are about to drop to around 5 this week, I have decided I will instead experiment the weekend of Jan 13. I have guests coming in who are heavy pool-in-dome users so I'd naturally keep it at 95 all day/night then anyway ;)

Cheers, kate

Lol. Joyful, I realize its been a few years, but you DID go to school in Boston, right? How soon they forget! ;)

Marty, it makes me happy to know someone is grilling somewhere in a tshirt and shorts.

I am trying to figure out how to de-ice the snow dome this morning for physio...there is literally ice everywhere from the flash freeze of near-zero temps ;)

image.jpg

Coincidentally, I have a good math problem for Joyful or Mas95:
What flow rate do I need to maintain of 95 degree water through an exposed heat exchanger that is warming my dome air when it’s approaching zero degrees F?
Here’s a mit paper on the calculation....can’t read it on iPhone and am outside putting warming lamps and heat tape on the exchanger box ;) http://web.mit.edu/parmstr/Public/NRCan/tn418.pdf

Last year in these temps I had NO freeze ups at all but didn’t have a VSP so was running a full 3450 rpm....

But today although I did get into the dome for physio, I noticed that there was no water coming from the “exhaust” return hose.

The saga continues but if I get the exchanger defrosted without damage I will be afraid to run the lower speeds on the vsp ;)

I think more information is needed such as the the volume of water inside the heat exchanger as well as the volume flow rate of air past the coil. Would also be good to know the inlet and outlet temp of the heating water.

Sounds to me like the flow rate of the water was much too slow and/or the air speed was too high. You might get one of those portable oil-filled electric radiators with thermostatic control (I have one for our casita in the winter time) and put that near the air intake to help pre-warm the air before going into the exchanger. They run about 1500-1800W and they do a good job of keeping the chill out of the air.

I think my blower is 550 cu but not sure. Its a 3/4 hp, that part I'm certain of.

I think I'll just run it at 3000 rpm any time the temps are below 25 F because I did get it thawed, discovered its now leaking, and just ordered a new air warmer unit from the mfg. Expensive mistake on my part, but if we can get a good weld to hold on the wrecked/current exchanger after replacement, I'll have a backup on hand should it happen again ;)

Technically speaking for posterity, this air warmer is NOT supposed to operate blow 25 degrees. The mfg warned me about this up front in a discussion last year, at which time hubby and I decided that the temp gain was worth the risk of having to buy a new one ;) Technically, for the warranty to be valid, you're supposed to blow the air warmer out with an air compressor if temps drop below 25 degrees (Kitana, don't know if you bought one with your a kit, but just so you know ;) )

We'd actually looked at plumbing the exchanger on a loop right into our boiler adjacent to the house, but our boiler guy had kittens when we discussed this idea with him. I have a new boiler guy now whose a bit more creative...I might run the idea by him when the new unit gets here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.