Newbie with failed pump

Sep 14, 2016
Madison, WI
Hi All,
New to this forum and new to the world of pool ownership. Just bought a house with a 27,000 gallon in ground vinyl lined pool. The pool has been in since 1986 and most of the equipment is between 10 and 15 years old. Last week the old Sta-Rite pump gave up the ghost. No water coming from the strainer basket and no pump pressure in the sand filter. Local equipment service center is recommending a Pentair SuperFlow 1.5 HP 230v single speed replacement pump installed for about $870. My question is could I have them install a 2 speed version of this, assuming I can figure out if the Gold Line controller can handle a 2 speed pump. I'd like to reduce the energy usage of the pump if possible.

I may be thinking about this incorrectly so I'm looking for any experience for guidance.

Thanks,
Dennis

Does a sand filter require anymore horsepower to pump through? My main concern with self install is the electrical hookup. I've done a fair amount of electrical work in home wiring but nothing with motors or 220v. The Pentair wiring doesn't seem to be particularly well documented. Is it a straight forward move of wiring from the old 220v connections on the old pump to the new one?

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum!

They make a 1 HP 2 speed SuperFlo as well. There is no reason to go with a 1.5 HP unless you have an in-floor cleaner or spa.

Also, you could save about half that amount if you installed it yourself:

Amazon.com : Pentair 340042 SuperFlo High Performance Energy Efficient Two Speed Pool Pump, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase - Energy Star Certified : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden

Does a sand filter require anymore horsepower to pump through?
No

The AquaLogic manual has wiring diagrams for two speed pumps. There are three power connections to a two speed pump, common, low and high. There is also a ground wire and bonding wire.

But if you don't feel comfortable working with electricity, then maybe you should hire somebody.

I just realized there is another wall inlet port in the pool. I guess to prevent damage to the pump if the water level would drop below the skimmer inlet level. Would having this 2nd inlet require a 1.5HP pump rather than a 1HP?
Thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the wiring suggestion. I'll look for a manual online.

The wall inlet port is plumbed to the pump with a valve at the pump. There's a vented cover over the port so I don't think it's intended for any equipment connection. The previous owner just told me it's for protection of the pump from low water levels.

The wall inlet port is plumbed to the pump with a valve at the pump.
That would probably be for a suction side cleaner. If it was an equalization port, it would be plumbed through the skimmer on the second port closest to the pool wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.