New Stenner install , couple questions

Hi all

I am installing a new Stenner 45mphp2 and 15 gallon poly tank, have a couple questions.

First is location of the chlorine tank, can I place it on the pool equipment pad under a shaded top keeping the sun off the equipment? My research from this great site is sun is the worst enemy of chlorine so it will be shaded, but what about the Florida heat, right now I store my chlorine inside a air-conditioned garage maintaining 80 degrees except in winter, I am wondering what you all think, I could make room in the garage for the tank and drill through the brick wall and pump from there, a hassle moving shelves and such but could do if you think it is necessary to protect the chlorine from degradation. I purchase fresh chlorine every 3-4 weeks right now, so haven't had any degrading noticed.

Second is the injection point, my plan is to drill and tap the cap for the puck chlorinator that was installed by the pool builder for automatic chlorine feed but not used by me because of the CYA from the tabs. I figured its the easiest place downstream of the pump and filter and may as well get some use out of it.

Appreciate any help and your thoughts, my Stenner should be here from Lockewell pump this week(Thanks for the link), they were priced lower than Amazon and very reasonable shipping.

Keith

Hi Keith....did you get a UV resistant tank? If so then it's just heat you need to be concerned about. Personally my tank is out in the open in Houston heat and I haven't noted too much degradation (admittedly only the last 6 weeks). My FC increases about what I expect it to, using 8.25% and I put in ~6-8 gallons in at a time every couple of weeks. Putting it inside your a/c garage will help with the heat (and sun if your tank isn't UV resistant) just depends on whether you really want the hassles you described, or if you want to manage it another way, such as using a lower concentration (less susceptible to degradation) or just refilling more often during the hot months.

Regarding the injection point, you can do as you describe but the risk is somebody may accidently try to put tabs in there (apparently dangerous to mix solid & liquid forms of chlorine). Nowhere else you can drill & tap, or don't want to install a tee? In my case I unscrewed the chlorinator tower and made an adapter that my injection fitting screws into. Non-destructive and can always reinstall the chlorinator later if required. Not sure what you have so if it allows that.

My only concern would be the off gassing of the chlorine in the garage and the way it corrodes
metals. Light switch contacts, garage door openers are a few of the things that it can have a negative effect on.

Glo76

I don't know if the tank is UV resistant but i am placing it outside under a cover hoping to protect both the equipment and the chlorine from the sun. Your injection point idea is a good one, I hadn't thought of the problem of liquid and solid issues so I will look at a different injection site and will look at your Tee idea, it's a good one, appreciate it.

Mike

Good point, I don't want any corrosion problems, I have quite a bit of equipment and such that I wouldn't want a rust problem, really appreciate you pointing that out, I honestly had not thought of the gassing problem.

Really appreciate the thoughts and advice, this is the best site with the best people. Keith

I put my 15 gallon tank inside a garbage can with a lid ( going to find a way to put insulation between barrell and garbage can ). Keeps and direct sunlight off and keeps it cooler than without. I don't know about you but our garages in Houston get pretty hot also. I agree about not putting tank in garage, to corrosive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.